Our nurses practice a holistic model of care, recognizing the importance of body, mind, and spirit in the healing process. Also known as complementary medicine or complementary therapies, integrative therapies are designed to enhance, not replace, traditional therapeutic measures such as pain medication, exercise, and therapy. Incorporating integrative therapies alongside your medical care may promote comfort and enhance your ability to heal and recover.
Integrative therapies include:
- Acupressure – Combines the natural health care of acupuncture with massage therapy by applying massaging pressure to the same points on the body acupuncture uses.
- Acupuncture – Fine, sterile needles are strategically placed at points on the body. After acupuncture, patients often experience a calming effect and an improved sense of well-being, in addition to getting relief from their symptoms. Research supports that acupuncture is a safe and effective adjunct therapy when administered by an experienced, licensed acupuncturist.
- Energy-based therapies – A group of therapies that seek to bring the body’s energy fields into balance, aiding relaxation and supporting healing.
- Essential oils -- Plant extracts that can restore balance to your body, primarily through the sense of smell. They can be used by breathing them in, adding them to your bath, or applying them to your skin through massage oils.
- Guided imagery – A directed form of imagination that supports the body’s healing process by focusing on affirmations, general wellness, meditation, easing pain, successful surgery, and other topics.
- Hand and foot massage – Therapeutic rubbing of hands and feet has many health benefits, including the stimulation of weak, inactive muscles. It may also enhance the body’s innate ability to heal itself.
- Healing music -- Each hospital has its own C.A.R.E. (Continuous Ambient Relaxation Environment) television channel that offers scenes of nature with relaxing music.
Ask your nurse about services available to you. Please note, not all services are available at all locations.