Lead is a metal. It was once used in things like paint, china, and water pipes. Too much lead can make you, your children, and even your pets sick. Breathing, touching, or eating paint or dust containing lead is the most likely way of being exposed. Dust gets on the hands. It can then enter the mouth. Children may also chew on lead paint because it can taste sweet.
Sometimes you may not notice any signs of lead poisoning in children.
Behavior, learning, and sleep problems may be caused by lead.
Other signs of lead poisoning include clumsiness, weakness, headaches, and hearing problems. It can also cause slow growth, stomach problems, seizures, and coma.
It can cause problems with blood pressure and muscles. It can hurt your kidneys, nerves, and stomach.
It can make you unable to have children. This is true for both men and women. Lead can also cause problems during pregnancy.
Lead can hurt memory and concentration.
Keep house surfaces clean. Wash floors, window wells, frames, and sills, and play areas weekly.
Wash toys often. Don’t let your children lick or chew painted surfaces. Don’t let your children eat snow.
Wash children’s hands before they eat. Also wash them before they take a nap and go to sleep at night.
Feed your children healthy meals. This includes meals high in calcium and iron. Children who have a healthy diet don’t take in as much lead.
If you notice paint chips, clean them up right away.
Check sleeping areas for chipped paint, or signs of chewed-on paint.
Remove vinyl mini blinds if made outside the U.S. before 1997.
Don’t remove leaded paint. Paint or wallpaper over it. Or ask your local health or safety department for a list of people who can safely remove it.
Be aware of toy recalls due to lead paint. Sign up for recall alerts at the United States Consumer Product Safety Commission website: www.cpsc.gov.