We have a weight loss option that is right for you. To learn more or schedule a consultation, call 612-336-2727.
The decision to have weight-loss surgery is a big one. You likely have lots of questions -- from what type of surgery is best for you, to the impact it'll have on your lifestyle. We're here to help answer those questions. We look forward to getting to know you and taking the journey to a healthier lifestyle together.
Weight Loss Seminars
To make sure you have the information you need to move forward with surgery, we recommend patients attend or view a weight loss seminar. Attend the weight loss seminar for the same location you plan to have your clinic visits and your surgery.
- M Health Fairview Southdale Hospital seminars: Register online here or call 612-336-2727 to sign up for an upcoming seminar.
- M Health Fairview St. John's Hospital or M Health Fairview St. Joseph's Hospital seminars: Register for an upcoming seminar, held the first Thursday of each month from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. Call 612-336-2727 to register. We also offer the seminar in an online video format.
- M Health Fairview University of Minnesota Medical Center seminars: Watch the online video seminar.
Our surgery centers are credentialed by the Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery Accreditation and Quality Improvement Program and are preferred providers for many insurance companies. Because every insurance plan is different, it is important to become informed about your insurance coverage prior to your first clinic visit. Many companies have specific documentation or requirements to be approved for surgery. Please call the customer service number on the back of your insurance card to inquire about your plan’s benefits. You may also want to visit your plan’s website and print out the information related to weight loss surgery. Our staff are experts at working with patients and supplying the information your insurance company may request for authorization. Please ask our staff for help if you have any questions.
Steps to Weight Loss
Once you decide to have weight-loss surgery, your surgeon will create a customized weight loss plan that will include a combination of behavioral, dietary and lifestyle changes.
Preparing for surgery
- Schedule a consultation and attend a seminar. Evaluations begin with a physician assistant to review your medical history and discuss your goals and options. You'll also meet with a dietitian.
- A psychological assessment helps identify the type of support you need to maintain your goals.
- A consultation with a surgeon provides you with an opportunity to get more information about your procedure and what to expect.
- Changing your lifestyle is an important part of success. Our class "Weight-Loss Surgery and You" will provide specific tools for your surgery.
- We'll create a plan to begin your weight loss before surgery.
- Most surgeries last one to two-and-a-half hours, followed by one to two days in the hospital. You'll be cared for by nurses experienced in weight-loss surgery.
- You'll meet with a physician assistant, physical therapist, nurse educator and dietitian to monitor your progress and address your questions or concerns. We also encourage you to attend support groups.
- If you have adjustable gastric band surgery, your first adjustment will take place about six weeks following surgery. Additional assessments will take place monthly until your BMI is less than 30.
- At three, six months and one year, you'll have a follow-up visit with a physician assistant and dietitian.
- For good health, you'll need to take vitamin supplements. Download information here.