Compassionate, empowering care for those facing multiple sclerosis
The Fairview Achievement Center offers services to slow the progress of multiple sclerosis (MS), or other neurological illnesses, and help patients thrive. Our programs provide the most complete and effective neurological rehabilitation services available. The Center includes an outpatient rehabilitation clinic and a state-licensed day program.
We'll help you:
- Maintain or improve your functional ability
- Prevent complications often seen in severe neurological conditions
- Adjust to changing functional abilities
- Benefit from a creative alternative to nursing home placement
- Receive support for yourself and your family.
The Center includes is a state-licensed day program. Activities at the Achievement Center help people remain as active and independent as possible so that you may remain in your home. The Center also assists family members or caregivers by providing respite, support and resources.
Individuals participate in the program one to two days per week, Monday - Thursday from 10 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
Day Program Services
- Wheelchair aerobics
- Adapted art activities, such as painting, woodworking and ceramics
- Accessible gardening
- Book clubs
- Educational programs and speakers
Our chaplain leads daily support groups with members, allowing them to connect to others in similar situations. Support groups offer guidance and a safe, accepting space for discussion and sharing. Support groups focus on topics such as dealing with change, living in the moment, and finding gratitude.
To help members maintain a strong sense of independence and dignity, we can arrange:
- Home visits
- Care conferences
Attendance fees may be covered through medical assistance waiver programs. Social workers assist you in managing your health care benefits. Those wishing to participate in the program must have prior authorization from their physician. Private pay options are also available.
The Achievement Center is conveniently located in the same building as Fairview Rehabilitation Services - St. Paul. Our outpatient rehabilitation clinic offers physical therapy, occupational therapy, and speech-language pathology.
Day Program members are able to coordinate their outpatient rehabilitation appointments with their Day Program schedule for added convenience. These services do require a physician's order. Most health insurances cover rehabilitation services, but we recommend contacting your insurance provider to verify coverage. Your care provider can help you arrange to receive therapy services if needed.
- Balance and coordination exercises
- Gait training
- Seating and positioning services
Compensation techniques for both physical and cognitive (thinking) problems
- Energy conservation techniques
- Strengthening methods
- Building tolerance for activity
- Improving performance in activities of daily living
Evaluation and treatment of:
- Speech articulation
- Cognitive impairments
- Swallowing difficulties
- Techniques to help patients:
- Communicate with others
- Improve swallowing issues
- Overcome problems with the voice
Achievement Center mission
Our caring community provides therapeutic, social, supportive, spiritual and educational services in a holistic environment to optimize the quality of life for people with MS and their families.
Achievement Center vision
We are a haven of hope and joy for those living with Multiple Sclerosis or other neurological diseases. We are the leader in developing and providing comprehensive and individualized MS-related services. Our innovative models and interventions are highly effective in improving quality of life and empowering those we serve and their support networks. Our commitment to research and education positions us to be the leaders in all we do. Practitioners come from around the world to study and learn from our successes. The National MS Society has designated Fairview Achievement Center as a Center for the Promotion of Excellence in Long-Term Care.
Your support is needed
Fairview Achievement Center is supported by our community in several ways.
- Volunteers provide a variety of services during the program day. For more information about volunteering, contact Fairview Volunteer Services, 612-672-2815.
- In-kind gifts – We accept donations of various types of equipment and supplies. If you have an item you wish to donate, give us a call to see if we could use it, 612-672-2815.
- Financial support – Chronic disease management programs are often underfunded. Fairview Achievement Center welcomes financial contributions to assist the program. To make a tax-deductible contribution, please make your check payable to Fairview Foundation and in the memo line include Achievement Center. You also may make an online donation on our secured site.