Our Diverse Educational Settings
Application Information Tuition
M Health Fairview, based in Minneapolis, is a network of hospitals, clinics and other ambulatory care services. The care that clinical pastoral education (CPE) students provide is one of many spiritual health services offered both within M Health Fairview and in community-based ministry settings. M Health Fairview's hospitals and community-based clinics encompass a diverse range of health care environments that include:
M Health Fairview UMMC CPE Center
- University of Minnesota Medical Center, near downtown Minneapolis, is a major educational and quaternary care facility with two campuses on and adjacent to the University of Minnesota Twin Cities campus. It offers patients a comprehensive range of diagnostic, clinical, surgical and health educational services, including mental health and addiction services, rehabilitation, and out-patient care. The medical center's focus on medical training and research affords special opportunities for CPE. Operating as a separate hospital but in tandem with UMMC is the University of Minnesota Masonic Children's Hospital.
- M Health Clinics and Surgery Center on the East Bank campus of the University of Minnesota opened its doors on February 22, 2016 to create a best-in-class experience for patients, providers and staff.
M Health Fairview Southdale Hospital CPE Center
Most CPE students are given a clinical assignment at one of M Health Fairview's hospitals or at Ebenezer's long-term care facilities. However, the M Health Fairview system extends beyond the Twin Cities and offers diverse opportunities.
- M Health Fairview Southdale Hospital, in suburban Edina, is one of the largest providers of emergency care in Minnesota. It offers comprehensive medical care, including oncology and mental heath, as well as maternal and newborn services. It also has a noted surgery department, providing treatment ranging from open heart and neurological surgery to orthopedic, eye, urologic, gynecologic and cosmetic surgery.
- M Health Fairview Ridges Hospital, in suburban Burnsville, is a community hospital at the southern gateway to the Twin Cities. It offers a continuum of primary and acute services including perinatal, pediatric, medical/surgical and geriatric care. Ridges Hospital partners with other health and human service organizations on the Ridges campus whose goal is to work together to provide holistic care. The service area includes the Minnesota River Valley as well as nearby suburban and rural communities.
- Ebenezer, which provides a wide range of senior services, offers opportunities for CPE students in various long-term care facilities ranging from full-service nursing homes to assisted-living apartments. Geriatric ministry is the primary focus at Ebenezer.
- Ebenezer Ridges Campus:
- Located in Burnsville, across the street from Fairview Ridges Hospital
- Includes assisted living, long-term care, transitional short-term care, independent apartments, and intergenerational day care for both older adults and children.
- The CPE resident placed at this site will have the opportunity to establish longer term relationships with residents and staff, and provide frequent devotional and corporate Christian worship leadership.
- The CPE resident assigned to the Ebenezer Ridges Campus will also serve in the on-call rotation at Fairview Ridges Hospital.
- Ebenezer Martin Luther Campus:
- Located in Bloomington on the banks of the Minnesota River.
- Includes assisted living, long-term care, transitional short-term care, memory care, and adult day care for older adults.
- The CPE resident placed at this site will have the opportunity to establish longer term relationships with residents and staff, and provide frequent devotional and corporate Christian worship leadership as well as diverse spirituality groups
- The CPE resident assigned to the Ebenezer Martin Luther Campus will also serve in the on-call rotation at Fairview Southdale Hospital.
- Ebenezer Minneapolis Campus:
- Includes Ebenezer Care Center (2545 Portland Ave), Loren on Park (2625 Park Ave South) in Midtown Minneapolis is owned and managed by Ebenezer, an organization that has provided quality senior care services since 1917.
- The CPE resident placed at this site has the opportunity to establish longer term relationships with culturally and religiously diverse residents, provide regular Christian worship services, lead Bible studies, and work closely with the interdisciplinary team.
- The CPE resident assigned to the Ebenezer Minneapolis Campus will also serve in the on-call rotation at Fairview Southdale Hospital.
How to apply for our program
To apply to one of the M Health Fairview Clinical Pastoral Education (CPE) Centers:
- Fill out the CPE application or the Certified Educator Candidate (CEC) application on the Association for Clinical Pastoral Education (ACPE) website.
- Send your completed application to: CPECenter@fairview.org.
M Health Fairview CPE Admissions Policy
All applicants must complete the ACPE application form and provide required documentation.
Level I and Level II CPE
When considering a student’s application for Level I and Level II CPE, the educator(s) will consider and assess:
- Readiness for using the clinical method of learning congruent with the program level for which the applicant is applying.
- Level of education with the minimum being graduation from high school/GED or ordination by a faith community or commissioned to function in ministry by an appropriate religious authority as determined by ACPE. A bachelor’s degree with some graduate level theological / religious education preferred.
- Level of emerging pastoral identity
- Appropriate diversity balance in the student peer group for a particular unit
- Potential for contribution to the clinical site
- Personal and professional maturity
- Willingness and ability to minister in an interfaith environment
- Ability to provide pastoral care with adequate competence in understanding and speaking the English language
- Competence with computer usage such that the applicant has clear potential for using electronic charting methods when in healthcare context
- Applicants for the year-long residency program will have completed a minimum of one unit of CPE.
Certified Educator Candidacy
When considering a student’s application for supervisory education, the interviewer will consider and assess:
- Completion of four units of CPE
- Successful completion of Level II outcomes
- Ecclesiastical endorsement
- Masters of Divinity degree or equivalency as defined by ACPE Standards Glossary
- Previous ministry experience in which the applicant demonstrated ability to function pastorally
- Openness to engagement at the level required for successful completion of the supervisory education process
- Capacity for personal and professional integration
- Level of time and energy available for engaging the supervisory education process
- Membership in ACPE
Information about our program costs
M Health Fairview offers several options in our Clinical Pastoral Education programs. Here are tuition costs for them.
- No application fee is charged
- Tuition with placement at an M Health Fairview/Ebenezer site: $750 ($250 non-refundable deposit)
- Tuition with placement external to M Health Fairview/Ebenezer: $5,000 ($400 non-refundable deposit)
- Tuition for students who have had a previous unit of CPE with M Health Fairview/Ebenezer: $500
Twelve-month residency program
- No application fee is charged
- First unit tuition: $750 ($250 non-refundable deposit)
- First unit tuition if student has had a previous unit of CPE within M Health Fairview/Ebenezer: $500
- Tuition for second and third units: $300 per unit
Certified Educator Candidacy program
- No application fee is charged
- Tuition for students at M Health Fairview sites: no charge
- Tuition for students at non-M Health Fairview sites: $5,000 (per unit)
- No deposit is required for certified educator candidate students
When a student is accepted into a unit of CPE, the student will receive a letter from the educator explaining that the deposit to hold a position is due within two weeks.
Balance on the tuition is due when the student begins the unit. Non-refundable deposits are applied to the tuition. Students may also negotiate a payment plan with the unit educator. All tuition must be paid by the end of the unit.
We have a limited number of scholarships available to cover part of the cost of tuition. Contact Michael Doane, CPE program manager, at CPECenter@fairview.org to request an application form.