Preparing people for spiritual care ministries
M Health Fairview's Clinical Pastoral Education (CPE) programs have more than 50 years of experience preparing people from many faith traditions for spiritual care ministries.
Our first programs were accredited in 1960 by the Association for Clinical Pastoral Education, Inc., and we've retained that accreditation throughout our history. As of January 2020, within the M Health Fairview Organization there are two ACPE Accredited CPE Centers:
M Health Fairview Southdale Hospital CPE Center
M Health Fairview Southdale Hospital in suburban Edina is one of the largest providers of emergency care in the state of Minnesota. It offers comprehensive medical care, including cardiology, oncology, mental health, and newborn services. It also has a noted surgery department, providing treatment ranging from open heart and neurological surgery to orthopedic, eye, urologic, gynecologic and cosmetic surgery. Clinical Placements are also available at:
- M Health Fairview Ridges Hospital in suburban Burnsville is a community hospital offering a continuum of primary and acute services including perinatal, pediatric, medical/surgical, oncology, intensive care and geriatric care. M Health Fairview Ridges Hospital partners with other health and human service organizations on the Ridges Campus, whose goal is to work together to provide holistic care. Ebenezer Ridges Care Center on the same campus is also a clinical site for students on the Ridges Campus, alongside M Health Fairview Ridges Hospital.
- Ebenezer is a partner-affiliate of M Health Fairview that offers opportunities for CPE students in various long-term care facilities ranging from full-service nursing homes to assisted living apartments. Innovative facilities and programs allow the student to experience a wide range of geriatric ministry.
M Health Fairview University of Minnesota Medical Center (UMMC) CPE Center
University of Minnesota Medical Center consists of two facilities, one located on the East Bank and the other on the West Bank of the Twin Cities campus of the University of Minnesota. This is a major educational and quaternary care facility. It offers patients a comprehensive range of diagnostic, clinical, surgical and health educational services, including behavioral care and rehabilitation. The hospital’s focus on medical training and research affords special opportunities for CPE. Operating as a separate hospital but in tandem with the University of Minnesota Medical Center is the University of Minnesota Masonic Children’s Hospital. Another unique feature of the UMMC program is ministry to diverse communities:
Clinical Placements are also available at:
- One of the largest Somali communities in the U. S. is located in the Cedar Riverside area near the University of Minnesota Medical Center.
- A Hmong community, Muslim congregations, and a Native American presence round out the diversity of our community.
- Clinic and Surgery Center (CSC) on the East Bank campus of the University of Minnesota opened its doors on February 22, 2016 to create a best-in-class experience for patients, providers and staff. A resident was placed there in 2018.
What M Health Fairview CPE offers
We foster an experienced-based theological education that combines the practice of spiritual care with qualified supervision and peer group reflection. We help students develop competency in the art and skills of pastoral care. We encourage them to explore their spiritual histories and deepen their pastoral identity. Our students come from many different faith traditions and many countries.
We offer a choice of training levels and scheduling options and have programs at a number of locations. Find out more about the application process and tuition on our program details page.
Your giving makes a difference
If you'd like to support our work, consider making a donation. The M Health Fairview Clinical Pastoral Education (CPE) program relies, in part, on generous gifts to continue the work of the program. Whether large or small, one-time or recurring, part of your estate plan or the result of a successful fundraiser, every donation you make helps M Health Fairview continue to provide exceptional care.
You can make a safe and secure gift online. To designate your gift to M Health Fairview's Clinical Pastoral Education program: In the drop-down menu under "Designation," select "Other" and then type "Clinical Pastoral Education" in the box which appears. Make your online gift today.
Make a gift of stock
A gift of appreciated stock can yield tax benefits for many donors. To make such a gift, please see our simple instructions.
Plan a legacy gift or bequest
A planned gift or bequest gives long-term support to M Health Fairview and can bring a variety of financial rewards to you and your family. Whether you’re thinking about a bequest, setting up a trust or other planned gift, we can help. Contact Michael Ziomko, 612-672-7238.
For more information
If you have questions, please contact:
Jeanne Haus, Registrar
M Health Fairview Clinical Pastoral Education
2450 Riverside Ave.
Minneapolis, MN 55454