Summer Nursing Student Internship
Begin your nursing career with our summer nursing student internship program
Fairview's Summer Nursing Student Internship program provides an individualized educational experience at all of our M Health Fairview hospitals in Minnesota. The program is tailored to your nursing career goals.
As a nurse intern, you will be mentored one-on-one by registered nurses to gain hands-on nursing experience. Our program provides opportunities to enhance your technical, critical thinking, and interpersonal skills in an acute care environment.
There's so much to gain
- Real-world experience under the guidance of RN mentors
- Hands-on experience in a variety of areas, including patient assessment, intervention, and care planning
- Opportunities to work with nurses and other health care professionals in a variety of roles and patient care settings
- Multiple “day of learning” opportunities in classroom environments
- Opportunities to increase self-confidence in patient care
- Opportunities to explore nursing care in other departments
- Preferential status for employment upon graduation
Successful applicants to our internship programs:
- Will have completed their junior year in a baccalaureate (BSN/BAN) nursing program by the start of the internship or have completed the 6th semester in a MANE program
- Students in a MANE program are ineligible if they have their RN license
- Have at least a 3.0 GPA
- Are able to work 64 hours per pay period (every two weeks) in variable shifts (Day, Evening, Night)
- Are able to work for 10 weeks during the summer, beginning late May to early August
- Able to attend the first week of orientation sessions May 26-29, 2020
Selected applicants must enroll in a Minnesota college or university internship course and have paid any associated tuition costs or fees before beginning the internship.
The Minnesota Nurse Practice Act requires nursing student interns to be enrolled in a nursing program whenever performing nursing functions. Because the foundation of our internship program is RN-mentored clinical experience, we can only extend offers to candidates who are willing to enroll in a Minnesota school’s internship course and pay any associated tuition costs or fees. The nursing program must have an affiliation agreement with Fairview. Please discuss this with your school faculty and contact us if you have questions. Additional information will be provided to you if you are offered an internship.
The Minnesota Board of Nursing, through the Nurse Practice Act regulations, has approved the skills list from which nursing students in internship programs can practice with direct supervision of RN mentors.
Applicants must submit a completed Fairview job application, which includes:
- An essay (found in the online application)
- Current resume containing information about your education, employment, community service, awards and recognition, and leadership experience from the past five years
- Current transcript [unofficial is accepted]
The application for summer 2020 will be available from Nov. 1- Dec. 13, 2019 on the Fairview Careers website.
Contact Information: firstname.lastname@example.org