Become a perioperative nurse
This program is intended to fill critical perioperative nursing vacancies within Fairview. The cost of each nurse's education is paid and nurses earn a salary during the program according to Fairview’s RN step and grade scale. Participants are eligible for 40 nursing contact hours in the program developed by the Association of Perioperative Registered Nurses (AORN).
The program consists of classroom, lab and clinical practicum and is open to internal and external candidates. Fairview offers this program when we are unable to fill our vacancies with fully trained and qualified applicants.
Frequently Asked Questions about the Perioperative 101 Program
Requirements are as follows:
- An AD RN degree is required.
- New graduate RNs who hold a BSN/BAN degree are welcome to apply.
- Applicants must hold a current Minnesota RN license and current BLS certification with American Heart Association or American Red Cross as a health care provider at the time of application.
- Applicants must have a strong desire/career goal to work as a RN in the operating room environment.
- Applicants must agree to work in accepted position for a minimum of two years after completing the program. The program is approximately six months long.
RN’s are hired into open positions before starting the program. Position and application materials will be posted here when we are accepting applications. There are two steps to apply.
1. Apply online for the specific, posted position.
2. There are 4 essay questions that are part of the online application. Be prepared to answer the following:
- What do you know about the role of a Perioperative Nurse? Explain how the role functions differently from a staff nurse on an in-patient unit.
- Based on your knowledge of the role of the Perioperative Nurse, what components of the role motivate you at work?
- What skills and experiences from your nursing career thus far do you bring with you that will make you successful in this role?
- The Fairview values are Dignity, Integrity, Service, Compassion and Innovation. Please give one example when you demonstrated one or more of these values in your nursing career.
3. You will need to upload your resume after you hit the “submit application” button.
4. We require two letters of recommendation as part of the application to the program. Please use this form or they may use their own letterhead. These can be submitted by the recommender separately or by the applicant. They are due by the application deadline..
Note: The training program is considered a “loan” by the IRS and accrues simple interest at 6 percent. The loan and interest are considered “forgiven” after the work commitment is completed and do not need to be paid back. However, at that point, according to IRS guidelines, both the loan and interest become taxable income and are taxed at the supplemental rate of 38.9 percent.
For more information, contact Regina Pekarek at firstname.lastname@example.org.