Fairview offers total rewards to fit your life. We know you and your family have different personal and financial health needs at different stages in life. Employees authorized 32 or more hours per pay period enjoy a wide range of both traditional benefits and leading-edge rewards. You will enroll online at the time of hire and each year during Open Enrollment. During enrollment, you will make choices for medical, dental and vision insurance, health care and dependent care spending accounts, life insurance, and much more.
The information below is an overview. Additional information is available through Fairview’s Employee Service Center, 612-672-5050 or toll-free 877-903-5050.
Fairview offers three medical plan options, allowing you to choose your deductible. Or, you can enroll in one of three Minnesota Nurses Association (MNA) medical plans. Dependents are also eligible for coverage. Coverage is effective after 30 days of employment.
In all three medical plans, you receive the best coverage by visiting Fairview, HealthEast, University of Minnesota Physicians, and Fairview Physician Associates providers and facilities. This group is called Enhanced Value Providers. View all provider directories
Office visits, prescription drugs, and hospital services are subject to the deductible. The exception is preventive care, which is covered at 100 percent (except at out-of-network providers). Note: In the PreferredHealth Narrow Network Plan, primary care services at Enhanced Value Providers are not subject to the deductible.
Coinsurance amounts depend on the type of service (e.g., primary care, urgent care, emergency department, etc.) If you seek care from an in-network provider, you will pay either 10 or 20 percent of the cost.
Your prescription drug co-insurance depends on the type of drug and where you purchase your prescription. View coinsurance amounts for generic, brand, and specialty drugs.
What you pay each pay period for medical insurance depends on how many people you cover and which plan you choose. View premium rates
for each plan.
Fairview offers two dental plan options, both administered by Delta Dental. Dependents are also eligible. Coverage is effective on the first of the month following four months of employment. View premium rates for Fairview’s dental plans.
Employees have the option to enroll in the vision plan administered by VSP. Dependents are also eligible. Coverage is effective after 30 days of employment. View premium rates for Fairview’s vision plan.
Employees authorized to work 32 or more hours per pay period are eligible. Basic life insurance coverage is effective the first of the month following the date of employment. Your coverage amount is equal to two times your annual salary. Fairview pays the full cost of coverage. Optional life insurance can be purchased for your spouse and children.
For employees authorized at least 48 hours per pay period, disability insurance provides salary continuance in the event that you become disabled and are unable to work. Coverage is effective on the first day of the month following your date of employment.
Short-Term Disability Insurance:
A voluntary disability program is available. Nurses pay the premium.
Long-Term Disability Insurance: This benefit is equal to 65 percent of your salary up to $9,000 for a maximum benefit of $5,850 per month. Long-term disability coverage begins after three months of disability.
Retirement: Pension and 403(b) Plan
Fairview contributes to the Twin City Hospitals-Minnesota Nurses Association Pension Plan. You receive benefit and vesting credit for each year in which you work at least 1,000 hours. You become fully vested in the pension plan after five years of qualifying service. Special vesting and benefit credit provisions apply to nurses meeting certain eligibility requirements who terminate employment after Jan. 1, 1993. A summary plan description is available for every nurse by contacting Wilson-McShane Corporation, 952-854-0795.
All employees are eligible upon hire to contribute to a tax-deferred 403(b) voluntary retirement savings plan through Fidelity Investments. Fairview will match a portion of what you contribute to your 403(b) plan at the end of the year. The employer will match 50 cents per one dollar of your contribution to the plan to a maximum of one percent of your eligible annual salary. As an added benefit, this employer matching contribution is immediately 100 percent yours. There is no vesting period.
Effective Jan. 1, 2019, a Roth deferral option is being added to the 403(b). The Roth option allows you to contribute after-tax dollars to your account at Fidelity and make potentially tax free withdrawals in retirement.
Vacation time/Sick leave/Holidays
Vacation is available to regularly scheduled nurses with authorized hours after six months of continuous employment. Vacation schedule provides:
- Two weeks paid vacation after one year of service
- Three weeks after two years
- Four weeks after five years
- Four weeks and three days after 16 years
- Five weeks after 21 years
- Part-time nurses receive prorated vacation benefits
Fairview provides paid sick leave when you are ill and unable to work. Paid sick leave is also available to care for your ill child. Only employees who are authorized to work 32 hours or more per pay period are eligible for sick leave pay for personal illness. Only employees who are authorized to work 40 hours or more per pay period are eligible to use sick child leave benefits.
Eight hours of paid sick time are earned for each 173.3 hours worked (one full-time month).
You may accumulate up to 720 hours of sick leave.
Fairview recognizes seven holidays: New Year’s Day, Good Friday or Easter, Memorial Day, Fourth of July, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day, and Christmas Day.
Regularly scheduled part-time and full-time nurses are also eligible for floating holidays each contract year (June-May). Full-time nurses receive a total of three floating holidays each year and part-time nurses receive two floating holidays.
Part-time nurses are eligible for a birthday holiday.
Part-time and casual nurses receive holiday pay for working on any of the holidays.
- Shift differentials: Shift differentials vary from $1.50 up to $4.00 per hour depending on the shift schedule (rotating shifts or permanent evening or night assignments).
- Weekend premium: Nurses are paid a $1.25 per hour premium for hours worked on any weekend shift, beginning at 3 p.m. on Friday and ending at 7 a.m. on Monday.
- Charge pay: Nurses receive $2.00 per hour for assigned charge duty on any shift of at least four hours.
- Night shift bonus: Full-time nurses who agree to work straight nights for at least six consecutive months receive 2 days off with pay for each six months of permanent night duty (prorated for part-time nurses).
- Weekend bonus: Regularly scheduled nurses with authorized hours who work more weekend shifts than their alternate weekends are eligible for a $100 bonus for each additional eight-hour, non-scheduled weekend shift worked. A $50 bonus shall be paid for partial shifts of four and five hours. A $75 bonus shall be paid for partial shifts of six and seven hours.
- Preceptor pay: Nurses receive $2.00 per hour when acting in an authorized preceptor capacity on any shift of work for at least four hours.
Professional Liability Insurance
Fairview provides all employees with professional liability insurance. The coverage is automatic and begins on the first day of employment. All employees are covered by professional liability insurance while performing assigned duties within the scope of their employment at Fairview.
Health and Well-being Resources
Fairview is committed to enhancing the health and well-being of Fairview employees and their families. You have several opportunities and resources to help you maintain and improve your personal health:
- Employee Wellness Services: Access a variety of resources for fitness, nutrition, stress management, tobacco cessation, mindfulness, discounts, and more through the employee intranet, blog community, and activities both online and onsite.
- Frequent Fitness Discount: Employees on a Fairview medical plan receive $20 off the monthly membership fee (or $40 off for employee and adult dependent) at a variety of metro area health clubs when you visit 12 times or more per month.
- Healthy Savings: Healthy Savings provides a 25 percent discount on fresh produce at participating grocery stores and weekly discounts on other healthy foods. Learn how to qualify and enroll by visiting the well-being page on the employee intranet.
- Employee Assistance Program: Employees and family members receive up to six sessions of free, confidential short-term counseling, problem-solving, and referrals. Seek help for work or personal concerns including stress, anxiety, depression, relationship issues, and more.
For benefit-eligible employees, Fairview reimburses adoption expenses up to $2,000 per adoption, per household. Reimbursement is paid upon finalization of the adoption.
Education and Training Programs
To support the career aspirations of our employees and others, Fairview partners with numerous education institutions to provide health care education/training programs. In the past, we have sponsored the following educational programs: clinical laboratory scientist, health unit coordinator, medical laboratory technician, nursing assistant (basic and advanced courses), nursing station technician, perianesthesia (PACU) nursing, perioperative registered nurse, phlebotomy, registered nurse, surgical instrument processing technician, radiology technologist, and ultrasound technician. In some instances, Fairview pays you a wage while you complete training.
Fairview partners with numerous schools to provide job training, and we offer more than 100 scholarships annually. Your dependents who are pursuing health care education also may qualify for a scholarship.
Through the tuition reimbursement plan, Fairview recognizes the importance of continuing education. Courses are approved if:
The course is taken at an accredited educational institution;
- The employee satisfactorily completes the course; and
- The degree or course enhances the employee’s current position or prepares the employee for a position that may be available at Fairview in the future.
Eligible employees may receive reimbursement in the amount of 100 percent of tuition and books up to $3,000 annually for degrees in nursing or 75 percent of the cost of tuition and books up to $2,000 annually for non-nursing degrees. Employees must agree to work at Fairview for one year after completion of course work.
Out of the tuition reimbursement, $750 may be used for workshops, courses and other education programs. The $750 is reimbursed at 100 percent.
Full-time nurses (1.0 FTE) receive three paid educational days per year for workshops, courses and other education and home-study programs. Part-time nurses may receive pro-rated workshop days.
Nurses authorized 32-79 hours per pay period may use that portion of the $750 for additional pay above their authorized hours at straight time for attending workshops, courses and other educational programs.
Reimbursement for home study programs will be paid as one hour of pay per one continuing education unit (CEU).
This is intended to provide a summary of benefits offered to Fairview employees. While Fairview believes the information included in this summary to be true, it is not intended to be all-inclusive nor is it intended to set conditions of employment. Fairview reserves the right to modify, change or reserve any part or parts of this information at any time. The language in this brochure is not intended to create, nor can it be construed to create, a contract between Fairview and its employees. The language in the insurance contracts and documents will prevail should there be a conflict of information.