University of Minnesota Medical Center, Riverside campus & Fairview Southdale Hospital, PEPOM
Fairview offers total rewards to fit your life. We know you and your family have different personal and financial health needs at different stages in life. Employees authorized 40 or more hours per pay period enjoy a wide range of both traditional benefits and leading-edge rewards. You will enroll online at the time of hire and each year during Open Enrollment. During enrollment, you will make choices for medical, dental and vision insurance, medical and dependent care spending accounts, life insurance and much more.
The information below is an overview. Additional information is available through Fairview’s Employee Service Center, 612-672-5050 or toll-free 877-903-5050.
Fairview offers three medical plan options. Dependents are also eligible for coverage (proof of dependent status will be required upon enrollment of a new dependent). Coverage is effective the 31st day of employment.
Each medical plan includes an annual deductible. Once you’ve met the deductible, you will pay medical and prescription drug coinsurance until you meet the plan’s out-of-pocket maximum.
Employees have three medical plans to choose from:
- The PreferredHealth Narrow Network plan includes a $500 individual ($1,000 family) deductible.
- The PreferredHealth Narrow Network High Deductible plan includes a $1,500 individual ($3,000 family) deductible as well as a $250 contribution ($500 family) from Fairview to a health savings account (if you enroll in a health savings account).
- The Open Access High Deductible plan includes a $2,700 individual deductible ($5,400 family) and an option to contribute to a health savings account (no Fairview contribution).
The PreferredHealth Narrow Network plans limit coverage to the PreferredHealth network of providers; out-of-network coverage within these plans is provided only for limited hospital and emergency services. The Open Access plan provides a larger network and broad out-of-network coverage.
In all three medical plans, you receive the best coverage by visiting Fairview, HealthEast, University of Minnesota Physicians and Fairview Physician Associates providers and facilities. This group is called Enhanced Value Providers. View all provider directories
Office visits, prescription drugs and hospital services are subject to the deductible. The exception is preventive care, which is covered at 100 percent (except at out-of-network providers). Note: In the PreferredHealth Narrow Network Plan, primary care services at Enhanced Value Providers are not subject to the deductible.
Coinsurance amounts depend on the type of service (e.g., primary care, urgent care, emergency department, etc.) If you seek care from an in-network provider, you will pay either 10 percent or 20 percent of the cost.
Your prescription drug coinsurance depends on the type of drug and where you purchase your prescription. View coinsurance amounts for generic, brand and specialty drugs.
What you pay each pay period for medical insurance depends on how many people you cover and which plan you choose. View premium rates for each plan.
Employees authorized to work 40 or more hours per pay period are eligible. Fairview offers two dental plan options, both administered by Delta Dental. Dependents are also eligible. Coverage is effective on the first of the month following four months of employment. View premium rates for Fairview’s dental plans.
Employees have the option to enroll in the vision plan administered by VSP. Dependents are also eligible. Coverage is effective on 31st day of employment. View premium rates for Fairview’s vision plan.
Employees authorized to work 40 or more hours per pay period are eligible. Basic life insurance coverage is effective the 1st of the month following your date of employment. Your coverage amount is equal to one times your annual salary to a maximum coverage level of $110,000. Optional life insurance can be purchased for your spouse and children. Coverage is subject to benefit reductions after age 65.
For employees authorized at least 64 hours per pay period, disability insurance provides salary continuance in the event that you become disabled and are unable to work. Coverage is effective the first of the month following your date of employment.
Long-Term Disability Insurance: This benefit is equal to 65 percent of your monthly covered salary to a maximum benefit of $20,000 per month. Coverage begins after three months of disability.
Retirement: Fairview Pension Plan and 403(B)/401(k) Plans
All employees are eligible upon hire to contribute to a tax-deferred 403(b) or 401(k) retirement savings plan with Fidelity Investments. This includes casual-status employees who would normally not be eligible for benefits. New hires will be automatically enrolled at a three percent contribution level on the first pay date following 30 days of employment. Employees may opt-out of this automatic enrollment or change their contribution amount by contacting Fidelity at 1-800-343-0860. Any contributions made cannot be refunded.
Employees of Behavioral Healthcare Providers may join the 401(k) plan. All other employees may participate in the 403(b) plan.
For eligible employees meeting annual employer contribution requirements, Fairview contributes a discretionary amount equal to three percent of your compensation each year to the plan. In addition, any contributions an eligible employee makes, up to six percent of their compensation, will be matched at 50 percent. This means you could earn an additional three percent matching contribution from Fairview (for a total of up to six percent employer contribution) if you contribute six percent or more to your retirement plan.
Eligible employees are at least 21 years of age and have completed one year of employment with at least 1,000 hours of service.
Employee contributions are immediately 100 percent vested. Fairview contributions (made annually, after the end of the year) are subject to this vesting schedule.
Vacation time/Sick time/Holidays
Vacation time is available after completion of six months of continuous employment. You qualify for vacation and advance in your vacation schedule for each anniversary year in which you work at or above 40 hours per pay period. Vacation schedule is as follows:
Fairview provides paid sick leave when you are ill and unable to work. Paid sick leave is also available to care for your ill child. Only employees who are authorized to work 40 hours or more per pay period are eligible to use child leave benefits.
- Two weeks paid vacation after one year of service
- Three weeks after two years
- Four weeks after five years
- An additional day is earned each year beginning after 16 years, up to five weeks after 20 years
- Part-time employees receive prorated vacation benefits
Fairview recognizes eight holidays: New Year’s Day, Good Friday or Easter, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day and your birthday.
- One day of paid sick time are earned for each month of continuous employment
- Full-time employees may accumulate up to 90 days of paid sick leave
- Part-time employees may accumulate up to 75 days of paid sick leave
Full-time employees receive the above paid holidays. Full-time employees are also eligible for a personal floating holiday each contract year (January-December) after completing one year of employment.
Part-time employees receive holiday pay for working on any of the above holidays.
- Shift differential: Pharmacists are paid a shift differential for all shifts where a majority of the hours worked are between 3 p.m. and 7 a.m. Evening shift differential is $2.70 per hour and the night shift differential is $3.55 per hour.
- Weekend premium: Pharmacists are paid a $1.75 per hour premium for hours worked during a period of eight consecutive shifts starting with the regular Friday evening shift.
Professional Liability Insurance
Fairview provides all employees with professional liability insurance. The coverage is automatic and begins on the first day of employment. All employees are covered by professional liability insurance while performing assigned duties within the scope of their employment at Fairview.
Health and Well-being Resources
Fairview is committed to enhancing the health and well-being of Fairview employees and their families. You have several opportunities and resources to help you maintain and improve your personal health:
- Employee Wellness Services: Access a variety of resources for fitness, nutrition, weight management, tobacco cessation, mindfulness and more through the employee intranet, bog community and activities both online and onsite.
- Frequent Fitness Discount: Employees on a Fairview medical plan receive $20 off the monthly membership fee (or $40 off for employee and spouse) at a variety of metro-area health clubs when you visit 12 times or more per month.
- Healthy Savings: Learn about your health risks in a 10-minute LifeScore health assessment in the Well at Work online platform to receive a Healthy Savings card. Healthy Savings provides a 25 percent discount on fresh produce at participating grocery stores and weekly discounts on other healthy foods.
- Employee Assistance Program: Employees and family members receive up to six sessions of free, confidential short-term counseling, problem-solving and referrals. Seek help for work or personal concerns including stress, anxiety, depression, relationship issues and more.
Fairview partners with numerous schools to provide job training and we offer more than 100 scholarships annually. Your dependents who are pursuing health care education also may qualify for a scholarship.
Through the tuition reimbursement plan, Fairview recognizes the importance of continuing education. Courses are approved if:
Employees authorized to work at least 32 hours per pay period may receive reimbursement for up to $1,000 per year.
- The course is taken at an accredited educational institution; and
- The degree or course enhances the employee’s professional development.
This is intended to provide a summary of benefits offered to Fairview employees. While Fairview believes the information included in this summary to be true, it is not intended to be all-inclusive nor is it intended to set conditions of employment. Fairview reserves the right to modify, change or reserve any part or parts of this information at any time. The language in this brochure is not intended to create, nor can it be construed to create, a contract between Fairview and its employees. The language in the insurance contracts and documents will prevail should there be a conflict of information.