Fairview offers total rewards to fit your life. We know you and your family have different personal and financial health needs at different stages in life. Employees authorized 40 or more hours per pay period enjoy a wide range of both traditional benefits and leading-edge rewards. You will enroll online at the time of hire and each year during Open Enrollment. During enrollment, you will make choices for medical, dental and vision insurance, medical and dependent care spending accounts, life insurance and much more.
The information below is an overview. Additional information is available through Fairview’s Employee Service Center, 612-672-5050 or toll-free 877-903-5050.
Fairview offers three medical plan options. Dependents are also eligible for coverage (proof of dependent status will be required upon enrollment of a new dependent). Coverage is effective the 31st day of employment.
Each medical plan includes an annual deductible. Once you’ve met the deductible, you will pay medical and prescription drug coinsurance until you meet the plan’s out-of-pocket maximum.
Employees have three medical plans to choose from:
- The PreferredHealth Narrow Network plan includes a $500 individual ($1,000 family) deductible.
- The PreferredHealth Narrow Network High Deductible plan includes a $1,500 individual ($3,000 family) deductible as well as a $250 contribution ($500 family) from Fairview to a health savings account (if you enroll in a health savings account).
- The Open Access High Deductible plan includes a $2,700 individual deductible ($5,400 family) and an option to contribute to a health savings account (no Fairview contribution).
The PreferredHealth Narrow Network plans limit coverage to the PreferredHealth network of providers; out-of-network coverage within these plans is provided only for limited hospital and emergency services. The Open Access plan provides a larger network and broad out-of-network coverage.
In all three medical plans, you receive the best coverage by visiting Fairview, HealthEast, University of Minnesota Physicians and Fairview Physician Associates providers and facilities. This group is called Enhanced Value Providers. View all provider directories
Office visits, prescription drugs and hospital services are subject to the deductible. The exception is preventive care, which is covered at 100 percent (except at out-of-network providers). Note: In the PreferredHealth Narrow Network Plan, primary care services at Enhanced Value Providers are not subject to the deductible.
Coinsurance amounts depend on the type of service (e.g., primary care, urgent care, emergency department, etc.) If you seek care from an in-network provider, you will pay either 10 or 20 percent of the cost.
Your prescription drug co-insurance depends on the type of drug and where you purchase your prescription. View co-insurance amounts for generic, brand and specialty drugs.
What you pay each pay period for medical insurance depends on how many people you cover and which plan you choose. View premium rates for each plan.
Fairview offers two dental plan options, both administered by Delta Dental. Dependents are also eligible. Coverage is effective on the 31st day of employment. View premium rates for Fairview’s dental plans.
Employees have the option to enroll in the vision plan administered by VSP. Dependents are also eligible. Coverage is effective on 31st day of employment. View premium rates for Fairview’s vision plan.
Life Insurance and Accidental Death & Dismemberment Insurance
You have nine coverage levels to choose from for life and accidental death and dismemberment insurance: $10,000, $50,000, or an amount equaling one to seven times your salary. Coverage is effective the 91st day of employment. Optional life insurance can be purchased for your spouse and children. Coverage is subject to benefit reductions after age 70.
Employees authorized to work 48 hours or more per pay period are eligible for disability benefits. Disability insurance provides salary continuance in the event that you become disabled and are unable to work. Coverage is effective on the 91st day of employment.
- Short-Term Disability Insurance: You choose between a benefit equal to 50 percent of your weekly earnings to a maximum benefit of $1,500 per week or 65 percent of your weekly earnings to a maximum benefit of $2,500 per week. Coverage begins after seven calendar days of disability and is tax-free.
- Long-Term Disability Insurance: You choose between a benefit equal to 50 percent of your monthly earnings to a maximum benefit of $10,000 per month, or 60 percent of your monthly earnings to a maximum benefit of $20,000. Long-term disability coverage begins after 180 calendar days of disability and is tax-free.
Employees authorized to work 48 to 59 hours per pay period have the option to waive short-term and long-term disability coverage.
Retirement: 403(b) and 401(k) Plans
All employees are eligible upon hire to contribute to a tax-deferred 403(b) or 401(k) retirement savings plan with Fidelity Investments. This includes casual-status employees who would normally not be eligible for benefits. New hires will be automatically enrolled at a three percent contribution level on the first pay date following 30 days of employment. Employees may opt-out of this automatic enrollment or change their contribution amount by contacting Fidelity at 1-800-343-0860. Any contributions made cannot be refunded.
Employees of Behavioral Healthcare Providers may join the 401(k) plan. All other employees may participate in the 403(b) plan.
For eligible employees meeting annual employer contribution requirements, Fairview contributes a discretionary (base) amount equal to three percent of your compensation each year to the plan. In addition, any contributions an eligible employee makes, up to six percent of their compensation, will be matched at 50 percent. This means you could earn an additional three percent matching contribution from Fairview (for a total of up to six percent employer contribution) if you contribute six percent or more to your retirement plan.
Eligible employees are at least 21 years of age and have completed one year of employment with at least 1,000 hours of service.
Employee contributions are immediately 100 percent vested. Fairview contributions (made annually, after the end of the year) are subject to this vesting schedule.
Paid Time Off (PTO)
All employees authorized to work 40 or more hours per pay period earn paid time off (PTO) hours. Compared to traditional vacation and sick programs, Fairview’s PTO program provides employees more choice in when and how to use time off. PTO hours are used for both scheduled time off (planned and scheduled in advance), as well as unscheduled time off (unexpected time off, such as illness or family emergency). During Open Enrollment, you may choose to convert some of your PTO to cash to increase your take-home pay. View PTO accrual maximums for your job category.
Evening shift is considered any shift where the majority of the hours are worked after 3 p.m. and before 11 p.m. Night shift is considered any shift where the majority of the hours are worked after 11 p.m. and before 7 a.m. Check with your supervisor to determine if you are eligible for shift differential.
Professional Liability Insurance
Fairview provides all employees with professional liability insurance. The coverage is automatic and begins on the first day of employment. All employees are covered by professional liability insurance while performing assigned duties within the scope of their employment at Fairview.
Health and Well-being Resources
Fairview is committed to enhancing the health and well-being of Fairview employees and their families. You have several opportunities and resources to help you maintain and improve your personal health:
- Employee Wellness Services: Access a variety of resources for fitness, nutrition, weight management, tobacco cessation, mindfulness and more through the employee intranet, blog community and activities both online and onsite.
- Frequent Fitness Discount: Employees on a Fairview medical plan receive $20 off the monthly membership fee (or $40 off for employee and spouse) at a variety of metro-area health clubs when you visit 12 times or more per month.
- Healthy Savings: Learn about your health risks in a 10-minute LifeScore health assessment in the Well at Work online platform to receive a Healthy Savings card. Healthy Savings provides a 25 percent discount on fresh produce at participating grocery stores and weekly discounts on other healthy foods.
- Employee Assistance Program: Employees and family members receive up to six sessions of free, confidential short-term counseling, problem-solving and referrals. Seek help for work or personal concerns including stress, anxiety, depression, relationship issues and more.
For benefit-eligible employees, Fairview reimburses adoption expenses up to $2,000 per adoption, per household. Reimbursement is paid upon finalization of the adoption.
To support the career aspirations of our employees and others, Fairview partners with numerous education institutions to provide health care education/training programs. In the past, we have sponsored the following educational programs: clinical laboratory scientist, health unit coordinator, medical laboratory technician, nursing assistant (basic and advanced courses), nursing station technician, perianesthesia (PACU) nursing, perioperative registered nurse, phlebotomy, registered nurse, surgical instrument processing technician, radiology technologist and ultrasound technician. In some instances, Fairview pays you a wage while you complete training.
Fairview partners with numerous schools to provide job training and we offer more than 100 scholarships annually. Your dependents who are pursuing health care education also may qualify for a scholarship.
Through the tuition reimbursement plan, Fairview recognizes the importance of continuing education. Courses are approved if:
- The course is taken at an accredited educational institution;
- The employee satisfactorily completes the course; and
- The degree or course enhances the employee’s current position or prepares the employee for a position that may be available at Fairview in the future.
Benefit-eligible employees may receive reimbursement for up to 100 percent of the cost of tuition and books, up to $3,000 annually. Any R.N. who is pursuing a higher degree within nursing also may receive reimbursement for up to 100 percent of the cost of tuition and books, up to $3,000 annually. Employees must agree to work at Fairview for one year after completion of course work.
Of the $3,000, $750 may be used for workshops, course recertification and other education programs. The $750 is reimbursed at 100 percent.
Full-time nurses (1.0 FTE) receive up to three paid educational days per year for workshops, courses and other education and home-study programs. Home-study programs will be paid as one hour of pay per one continuing education unit.
Nurses authorized 40-80 hours per pay period may use that portion of the $750 for additional pay above their authorized hours at straight time for attending workshops, courses and other educational programs. For regularly scheduled nurses who are authorized fewer than 40 hours per pay period, you may receive 100 percent reimbursement for workshops, course recertification and other education programs, to a maximum of $200 per year.
This is intended to provide a summary of benefits offered to Fairview employees. While Fairview believes the information included in this summary to be true, it is not intended to be all-inclusive nor is it intended to set conditions of employment. Fairview reserves the right to modify, change or reserve any part or parts of this information at any time. The language in this brochure is not intended to create, nor can it be construed to create, a contract between Fairview and its employees. The language in the insurance contracts and documents will prevail should there be a conflict of information.