Fairview offers total rewards to fit your life. We know you and your family have different personal and financial health needs at different stages in life. Employees authorized 80 hours per pay period enjoy a wide range of both traditional benefits and leading-edge rewards. You will enroll online at the time of hire and each year during Open Enrollment. During enrollment you will make choices for medical, dental and vision insurance, health care and dependent care spending accounts, life insurance, and much more.
The information below is an overview. Additional information is available through Fairview’s Employee Service Center, 612-672-5050 or toll-free 877-903-5050.
Fairview offers three medical plan options. Dependents are also eligible for coverage (proof of dependent status will be required upon enrollment of a new dependent). Coverage is effective after 30 days of employment.
Each medical plan includes an annual deductible. Once you’ve met the deductible, you will pay medical and prescription drug coinsurance until you meet the plan’s out-of-pocket maximum.
In all three medical plans, you receive the best coverage by visiting Fairview, HealthEast, University of Minnesota Physicians, and Fairview Physician Associates providers and facilities. This group is called Enhanced Value Providers. View all provider directories
Your prescription drug coinsurance will depend on the type of drug and where you purchase your prescription. View coinsurance amounts for generic, brand, and specialty drugs.
What you pay each pay period for medical insurance depends on how many people you cover and which plan you choose. View premium rates
for each plan.
Fairview offers two dental plan options, both administered by Delta Dental. Dependents are also eligible. Coverage is effective after 30 days of employment. View premium rates for Fairview’s dental plans.
Employees have the option to enroll in the vision plan administered by VSP. Dependents are also eligible. Coverage is effective after 30 days of employment. View premium rates for Fairview’s vision plan.
Full-time employees are eligible. Basic life insurance coverage is effective after 60 days of employment. Your coverage amount is $50,000. Fairview pays the full cost of coverage. Optional life insurance can be purchased for your spouse and children. Coverage is subject to benefit reductions after age 70.
Disability insurance provides salary continuance in the event that you become disabled and are unable to work. Coverage is effective on the first of the month following completion of the probationary period (90 days).
Long-Term Disability Insurance:
This benefit is equal to 65 percent of your annual salary to a maximum benefit of $3,329 per month. Long-term disability coverage begins after 90 calendar days of disability.
Retirement: Pension and 403(b) Plans
Fairview contributes to the Central Pension Fund of the International Union of Operating Engineers if you have a minimum of 400 hours of service in the year. Contributions are $3.39 per hour paid effective May 1, 2017. A summary plan description is available by contacting the Central Pension Fund, 1-202-362-1000.
All employees are eligible upon hire to contribute to a tax-deferred 403(b) retirement savings plan with Fidelity Investments. This includes casual-status employees who would normally not be eligible for benefits. Effective Jan. 1, 2019, a Roth deferral option is being added to the 403(b) plan. The Roth option allows you to contribute after-tax dollars to your account at Fidelity and make potentially tax free withdrawals in retirement. To enroll or make changes to an account, call 1-800-343-0860 or visit www.netbenefits.com/Fairview
Holidays/vacation time/sick leave
Fairview recognizes seven holidays: New Year’s Day, Good Friday, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day, and Christmas Day. Employees working on any of the above holidays receive two-and-one-half times (2.5x) pay for all hours worked on holidays. In addition, employees receive one floating holiday each contract year (May 1-April 30).
One week of vacation time is available after completion of six months of employment. Vacation schedules are as follows:
- Two weeks after one year of service
- Three weeks after five years
- Four weeks after 10 years
- One additional day for each year beginning after 16 years of employment, up to a maximum of 25 days of vacation
Fairview provides paid sick leave when you are ill and unable to work. Sick leave is accumulated at the rate of one day per month up to a maximum of 90 days.
- Shift differential: You receive 50 cents per hour for working the afternoon shift and 55 cents per hour for working the night shift.
- Weekend premium: You receive weekend premium pay at the rate of 50 cents per hour for each hour worked during a period of six consecutive shifts beginning with the hospital’s regular Saturday day shift.
As a non-exempt, hourly employee, you are on one of two overtime standards: 8/80 or over 40. Employees are paid time and one-half (1.5x) for hours worked in excess of their overtime standard. Hours worked in excess of twelve consecutive hours are paid at double time. Vacation, paid sick leave and holidays will count towards overtime.
Professional Liability Insurance
Fairview provides all employees with professional liability insurance. The coverage is automatic and begins on the first day of employment. All employees are covered by professional liability insurance while performing assigned duties within the scope of their employment at Fairview.
Health and Well-being Resources
Fairview is committed to enhancing the health and well-being of Fairview employees and their families. You have several opportunities and resources to help you maintain and improve your personal health:
Education and Training Programs
- Employee Wellness Services: Access a variety of resources for fitness, nutrition, stress management, tobacco cessation, mindfulness, discounts, and more through the employee intranet, blog community, and activities both online and onsite.
- Frequent Fitness Discount: Employees on a Fairview medical plan receive $20 off the monthly membership fee (or $40 off for employee and adult dependent) at a variety of metro area health clubs when you visit 12 times or more per month.
- Healthy Savings: Healthy Savings provides a 25 percent discount on fresh produce at participating grocery stores and weekly discounts on other healthy foods. Learn how to qualify and enroll by visiting the well-being page on the employee intranet.
- Employee Assistance Program: Employees and family members receive up to six sessions of free, confidential short-term counseling, problem-solving, and referrals. Seek help for work or personal concerns including stress, anxiety, depression, relationship issues, and more.
To support the career aspirations of our employees and others, Fairview partners with numerous education institutions to provide health care education/training programs. In the past, we have sponsored the following educational programs: clinical laboratory scientist, health unit coordinator, medical laboratory technician, nursing assistant (basic and advanced courses), nursing station technician, perianesthesia (PACU) nursing, perioperative registered nurse, phlebotomy, registered nurse, surgical instrument processing technician, radiology technologist, and ultrasound technician. In some instances, Fairview pays you a wage while you complete training.
Fairview partners with numerous schools to provide job training, and we offer more than 100 scholarships annually. Your dependents who are pursuing health care education also may qualify for a scholarship.
Through the tuition reimbursement plan, Fairview recognizes the importance of continuing education. Courses are approved if:
- The course is taken at an accredited educational institution;
- The employee satisfactorily completes the course; and
- The degree or course enhances the employee’s current position or prepares the employee for a position that may be available at Fairview in the future.
After six months of employment at benefit-eligible status, benefit-eligible employees may receive reimbursement for up to 75 percent of the cost of tuition and books, up to $2,000 annually. Employees must agree to work at Fairview for six months after completion of course work.
This is intended to provide a summary of benefits offered to Fairview employees. While Fairview believes the information included in this summary to be true, it is not intended to be all-inclusive nor is it intended to set conditions of employment. Fairview reserves the right to modify, change or reserve any part or parts of this information at any time. The language in this brochure is not intended to create, nor can it be construed to create, a contract between Fairview and its employees. The language in the insurance contracts and documents will prevail should there be a conflict of information.