The sun’s UVA & UVB rays increase your chance of skin cancer and cause your skin to age prematurely. We asked Jeshila McGovern, an esthetician at Fairview Clinics – Primary Care Skin in Eden Prairie, to share some quick tips in staying sun safe.
Follow these tips to protect your skin from the sun:
1. Protect your skin by choosing sunscreen that is SPF of 30+
and one that has both UVA & UVB protection (broad spectrum).
2. Sunscreens with ingredients such as avobenzone, oxybenzone and
aminobenzoic acid absorb the UV rays before they harm the skin.
3. Having a sunscreen that includes zinc oxide and/or titanium
dioxide gives you better protection from the sun?s harmful rays because
they help reflect UV rays away from the skin.
4. Apply sunscreen 30 minutes before going outside. Remember
to re-apply every 2 hours or immediately after swimming or sweating.
The sun?s rays are most intense between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m.
If possible, limit your sun exposure during these peak times.
5. On Wednesdays, all skin care products at
Fairview Clinics ? Primary Care Skin in Eden Prairie, including
sunscreen, are 20% off.
At Fairview Clinics – Primary Care Skin in Eden Prairie, our esthetician Jeshila McGovern can help you choose treatments and skin care products that are best for you and your skin goals. Visit Fairview.org/skincare for more information.