When quitting tobacco, many people struggle with weight gain. Use these five simple tips to avoid weight gain and maintain a healthy lifestyle while you quit tobacco.
- Go for a walk. Try to go for a 30-minute walk each day. If you don’t think you can do all 30 minutes at once, break it up into a few small walks each day.
- Be prepared. Plan each day so you have healthy snack options available and at the ready when those munchies hit.
- Spice things up. Spicy foods increase your metabolism and the spices tend to make people eat slower (which can lead to eating smaller amounts).
- Brush your teeth—or chew minty gum. That fresh minty feeling in your mouth will make you less likely to give in to cravings (or a cigarette).
- Write it down. It is easy to forget all the things we eat and drink. Writing down what you are putting in your mouth each day is a great eye-opener!
Ready to kick the habit? Join our Exhale tobacco cessation program.
We all know tobacco is bad for our health, but we also know it’s hard to quit. We want to help you reach your goal. Fairview Clinics, Fairview Physician Associates and University of Minnesota Health are proud to help by offering tobacco cessation classes.