Breathing Techniques: Pursed-Lip Breathing
Inhaling through the nose and exhaling through pursed or closed lips makes breathing easier. Pursed-lip breathing can also help you when you are short of breath. You can practice breathing this way anytime, anywhere. For example, if you’re watching TV, practice during the commercials. Try to practice several times a day. Over time, pursed-lip breathing will feel natural.
Here's how to do it:
1. Sit in a comfortable chair.
2. Relax your neck and shoulder muscles.
3. Breathe in slowly through your nose while counting to 2.
4. Hold your lips together as if you are trying to whistle or blow out a candle.
5. Breathe out slowly and gently through your pursed lips while counting to 4.