Roxana Merz, MD
Bariatrics and Internal Medicine
Fairview Medical Weight Loss Clinic's weight management program provides a unique, comprehensive approach to weight loss. Led by a board-certified bariatrician with expertise helping patients achieve long term weight loss, this unique program builds upon known weight management building blocks. Along with diet and exercise, the program provides oversight by a doctor and individualized consultation with a multidisciplinary team to help patients meet their weight loss goals.
Our medical weight loss program is ideal for people ages 18 and older with a BMI of 30 or more and who weigh less than 500 pounds. It is designed for those who need assistance losing weight and maintaining weight loss. Check your BMI.
The program is ideal for people who:
- Have multiple obesity-related medical problems or a medical need to lose weight
- Have attempted multiple other weight loss programs with limited success
- Could benefit from significant weight loss
- Are willing to commit to the multiple appointments needed
- Need additional assistance getting started with an exercise program
- Need medical monitoring during weight loss due to medical issues
You'll meet with our doctor for an individual assessment and together, create a plan designed to help you lose weight and get healthier. Treatment may include working with a dietician, monitored exercise program or medications.
The exercise program is available to patients at no charge thanks to a grant from the Fairview Foundation.
Most insurance will cover medical weight loss programs. It is best to check with your insurance carrier for exact coverage. Our staff will also help you determine coverage, if needed.
For more information about healthy living, the Lifestyle Medicine staff recommends the following websites:
- University of Minnesota Center for Spirituality & Healing – Stress reduction programs, nutrition and other resources
- Myfitnesspal.com - Food diary
- Sparkpeople.com - Recipes, support, food diary
- Mapmywalk.com - Walking paths in any city
- Livestrong.com - Healthy topics, meal ideas, etc.
- Toneteen.com - Teen weight loss site
- Nourishinteractive.com - Games and healthy eating information for families and kids
- Choosemyplate.gov - Government healthy tips and guidelines
- National Heart Blood and Lung Institute - Reducing portion sizes, interactive quiz
- Communityed4u.org - Forest Lake community education activities, including classes for aquatics, aerobics, health and mindfulness and stress reduction.