Lifestyle Medicine and Weight Management
|Learn more about our FREE lecture series that promotes healthy living.|
You start with two hour-long appointments
At your first appointment, a doctor will spend an entire hour with you, reviewing your medical history, and weight loss and health-improvement goals. Based on your current health issues, we might conduct lab tests to check your cholesterol, kidney and liver, thyroid, vitamin levels, or pre-diabetes screening. Then, the doctor will work with you to develop a personalized plan that will address your physical, mental and psychological needs.
After that, you’ll spend one hour with an exercise physiologist or exercise therapist. They’ll talk about your workout plan, and take your baseline measurements to follow your transformation over time.
Ongoing individualized care
The doctor will see you every two to four weeks for several months, based on your individual needs. You’ll meet with the exercise physiologist/therapist once a month for five or six months. You can also attend regular group classes, health coaching sessions and a support group, and you'll have the option to meet with a registered dietitian and participate in body composition testing.
Will this program work for you?
The program is ideal if you have:
- Some motivation to improve your health
- The ability to commit to a three- to six-month program
- Obesity-related medical problems or a medical need to lose weight
- Attempted other weight-loss programs with limited success
- A need for medical monitoring during a weight-loss program
The physician visits are billed out as typical office visits. Your insurance plan will determine what is covered. Please check with your insurance company if you have financial concerns. You’ll be referred to dietitian for an assessment and further education. Check with your insurance company to determine your coverage for dietitian visits.
Begin transforming your life!
The Lifestyle Medicine and Weight Management Program has two locations.
Fairview Clinics – Wyoming
5200 Fairview Blvd.
Wyoming, MN 55092
Fairview Southdale Hospital
6405 France Ave. S, Suite W320
Edina, MN 55435
For more information about healthy living, the Lifestyle Medicine staff recommends the following Web sites:
- University of Minnesota Center for Spirituality & Healing – Stress-reduction programs, nutrition and other resources
- Myfitnesspal.com – Food diary
- Sparkpeople.com – Recipes, support, food diary
- Mapmywalk.com – Walking paths in any city
- Livestrong.com – healthy topics, meal ideas, etc.
- Toneteen.com – Teen weight loss site
- Nourishinteractive.com – Games and healthy eating information for families and kids
- Choosemyplate.gov – Government healthy tips and guidelines
- National Heart Blood and Lung Institute – Reducing portion sizes, interactive quiz
- Communityed4u.org – Forest Lake community education activities (classes for aquatics, aerobics, health and mindfulness/stress reduction)