The bridge to your next stage of care
Have you recently undergone a transplant or other surgery? Do you need advanced physical or occupational therapy, or have a complex condition? The Transitional Care Unit at the University of Minnesota Medical Center is your bridge between the hospital and your home or next stage of care.
Who We Are
The Transitional Care Unit is a skilled nursing facility licensed for 36 beds. We have a mix of private and semi-private rooms, many with shared bathrooms. Although we provide the same high level of care you received during your Fairview hospital stay, there are some key differences:
- A hospitalist (doctor who specializes in the care of patients in the hospital) will oversee your care while you are on the unit.
- The nurse practitioner, physician assistant or hospitalist assigned to your floor will provide your medical care.
- The ratio of nurses to patients is much greater than in the most community nursing facilities. There are also several nursing assistants on each shift.
How We Help
- We work with patients who may need rehabilitation, or who have medical needs qualifying them for a skilled nursing facility stay.
- We help patients with complex conditions transition to the next stage of care. The average stay is 14 days or fewer.
What We Do
- Our staff includes physical, occupational, language and recreational therapists, registered nurses and nursing assistants, a chaplain, social worker and patient care coordinator.
- Care is tailored to meet your specific needs. You may need rehabilitation, be preparing for longer-term care or hospice, or may be recovering from transplant surgery or other complex conditions.
- Alternative therapies are also available, such as healing touch, aromatherapy, and music therapy.
- Our care coordinators will start working with you and your family on your plans for leaving the unit soon after your arrival. Education for your entire family is a key part of this important process.
Most health plans pay for transitional care when ordered by a physician. Check with your insurance provider regarding coverage. For more information on the Transitional Care Unit, contact our Admissions Office at 612-273-4277.
University of Minnesota Medical Center - West Bank
2512 S. 7th St., Fourth Floor
Minneapolis, MN 55454