Using water to help heal
Many children with musculoskeletal and neurological conditions benefit from pool (aquatic) therapy, as do children recovering from major surgeries or traumatic injuries. Kids benefit from the warm water and the physical properties of water, which assist in healing and exercise performance.
When warmed to 88 degrees or more, water helps kids who have muscle, bone, orthopedic and neurological conditions by relaxing muscles and ligaments and promoting flexibility. Exercise that otherwise would be painful or not possible on land may be comfortably done in warm water. The water also provides natural resistance to help muscles work harder while putting less stress on the body. The warm, buoyant water enables your child to feel free and have fun in therapy, in a natural environment!
It is an excellent additional therapy to other therapies your child might be receiving and provides one-on-one treatment sessions. It uses safe and efficient methods to achieve your child’s individualized short-term goals.
Conditions we treat
- Bone, joint or muscle problems
- Cerebral Palsy
- Chronic conditions, such as arthritis and fibromyalgia
- Chronic pain
- Developmental disabilities with impaired physical function
- Down’s Syndrome
- Joint replacement or spinal surgery
- Low back pain
- Neurological conditions, such as stroke, multiple sclerosis or Guillian-Barre syndrome
- Orthopedic disorders
- Spina Bifida
- Traumatic injury
- Better posture
- Improved balance and coordination
- Reduced pain
- Greater flexibility
- Better range of motion
- Reduced joint strain
- Head & trunk control
- Blood supply to muscles
- Attention span & sensory motor integration
- Respiratory rate
- Symmetry, strength and endurance
- Psychological benefits including improved self-esteem, confidence, and motivation!
Examples of Treatment
- Warm-up and cool-down exercises
- Stretching, strengthening and flexibility exercises
- Aerobic activities
- Sensory re-education
- Developmental activities
- Positioning and movement techniques
- Relaxation and other pain-management techniques
- Use of assistive and flotation devices, exercise equipment
- Cardiovascular (heart) endurance training
Locations by city:
|Fairview Pediatric Therapy - Burnsville|
150 Cobblestone Lane
Burnsville, MN 55337
First appointment: 612-273-6228; Rehab clinic: 952-460-4960
|Fairview Rehabilitation Services - Burnsville YMCA Pool|
13850 Portland Ave. S.
Burnsville, MN 55337
Call FV Central Scheduling for appt 612-273-6228
|Fairview Rehabilitation and Pediatric Therapy - Eagan|
3305 Central Park Village Dr.
Eagan, MN 55121
First appointment: 612-273-6228; Rehab clinic: 651-406-8868
|Fairview Pediatric Therapy - Princeton|
911 Northland Blvd.
Princeton, MN 55371
First appointment 612-273-6228 Rehab clinic 763-389-6420