Living well with heart disease
If your child is recovering from cardiac surgery or other heart problem, our expert cardiac rehabilitation can help. Cardiac rehabilitation prepares your child physically, mentally and emotionally to return to school and a normal life.
- Increase endurance and strength to allow for ability to be active and exercise
- Help return to school earlier
- Help get back to a normal lifestyle
- Improve overall health and well-being
Conditions we treat
- Abnormal heart rhythms
- Congenital anomalies
- Heart and heart/lung transplant
Three Stages of Care
We offer three phases of cardiac rehabilitation. As your child's heart improves and gets stronger, you can expect him or her to move to the next phase.
Phase one - In the hospital
Cardiac rehabilitation begins in the hospital after surgery or other heart problem. We help children begin light activity to get stronger. They'll learn more about their condition and risk factors. We help them become more aware of their body's response to exercise and to return home safely. When they leave the hospital, they may be referred to outpatient rehabilitation to continue recovery.
Phase two - Outpatient Rehabilitation
Outpatient care starts as soon as children leave the hospital. Together we:
- Improve cardiovascular fitness and endurance, muscle strength and flexibility
- Develop healthy lifestyle habits, including exercise, nutrition and stress management
- Modify behaviors that put them at risk for further heart problems
- Provide support as they return to activities of daily living and school
Outpatient cardiac rehabilitation is usually held in a group setting one to three times a week for up to 12 weeks. Your child's personal care plan is supervised by cardiac rehabilitation therapists who monitor him or her by using an electrocardiogram, blood pressure readings, heart rate and rate of exertion.
WEL is a structured, supervised exercise setting that gets older teenagers and/or adolescents ready to exercise on their own and return to their normal activities. Our staff works with them to reinforce healthy lifestyle changes. WEL is located at five Fairview locations:
University of Minnesota Medical Center on the West Bank
Locations by city:
|Fairview Pediatric Therapy - Southdale Hospital|
6363 France Ave. S., Ste. 600
Edina, MN 55435
|Fairview Pediatric Therapy - Pine City|
100 Evergreen Square
Pine City, MN 55063
|Fairview Pediatric Therapy - Lakes Medical Center|
5200 Fairview Blvd.
Wyoming, MN 55092