Compassionate care with empowerment and dignity
The National MS Society has designated Fairview Achievement Center as a Center for the Promotion of Excellence in Long-Term Care.
Innovative, customized care
The Achievement Center’s programs provide the most complete and effective MS rehabilitation services available. They'll help you:
- Maintain or improve functional ability
- Prevent complications often seen in severe multiple sclerosis
- Adjust to changing functional abilities
- Benefit from a creative alternative to nursing home placement
- Receive support for yourself and your family members
MS Day Program
Activities at the Achievement Center help people with MS and other neurological conditions remain as active and in dependent as possible so they may remain in their homes. The Center also assists family members or caregivers by providing respite, support and resources. Individuals with MS participate in the program one to two days per week, Monday - Thursday from 10 a.m.-3:30 p.m.
Group Activities – wheelchair aerobics; adapted activities such as painting, woodworking and ceramics; music; educational programs and speakers.
Counseling – support groups offering guidance and a safe, accepting space for discussion and sharing.
Health and wellness – nutrition, relaxation and stress management education; opportunities to socialize; caregiver support groups.
Social Services - can arrange home visits, care conferences, transportation to the Center, in order to help members maintain a strong sense of independence and dignity.
Attendance fees may be covered through medical assistance waiver programs. Social workers assist you in managing your heath care benefits. Those wishing to participate in the program must have prior authorization from their physician. Private pay options are also available.
Physical therapy – stretching, flexibility, gait (walking) training, balance and coordination exercises, as well as seating and positioning services.
Occupational therapy – compensation techniques, for both physical and cognitive (thinking) problems; energy conservation techniques, strengthening methods, building tolerance for activity and improving their ability to perform activities of daily life.
Speech-language pathology – Evaluation and treatment of speech articulation, voice, language, cognitive impairments and swallowing difficulties; techniques to help patients communicate with others, improve swallowing issues, and overcome problems with the voice. Therapy requires a physician order for insurance coverage. Ask your physician for a referral.
Your support is needed
Fairview MS Achievement Center is supported by our community in several ways.
- Volunteers provide a variety of services during the program day. For more information about volunteering, contact Fairview Volunteer Services, 612-672-2815.
- In-kind gifts – We accept donations of various types of equipment and supplies. If you have an item you wish to donate, give us a call to see if we could use it, 612-672-2815.
- Financial support – Chronic disease management programs are often underfunded. Fairview Achievement Center welcomes financial contributions to assist the program. To make a tax-deductible contribution, please make your check payable to Fairview Foundation and in the memo line include Achievement Center. You also may make an online donation on our secured site.
Mission and vision
Our caring community provides therapeutic, social, supportive, spiritual and educational services in a holistic environment to optimize the quality of life for people with MS and their families.
We are a haven of hope and joy for those living with Multiple Sclerosis. We are the leader in developing and providing comprehensive and individualized MS-related services. Our innovative models and interventions are highly effective in improving quality of life and empowering those we serve and their support networks. Our commitment to research and education positions us to be the leaders in all we do. Practitioners come from around the world to study and learn from our successes.