Evaluation and Treatment of Cervical Headaches Focusing of Manual Techniques
Audience: PT, PTA, ATC
Course Level: Intermediate to advanced manual techniques
Date: Sept. 28, 2013
Check in time: 7:30-8 a.m.
Class time: 8-12 p.m.
Location: Fairview Southdale Hospital. International Rooms A and B
6401 France Ave. S., Edina, MN 55435
Course fee: $100.00
Contact hours: 3.75
Register for this course
Nicholas Marvin, PT and Ryan Olmscheid, PT
Ryan Olmscheid, DPT, OCS
Ryan is a 2007 graduate of the Mayo School of Physical Therapy. He has worded for Fairview Lakes Medical Center in their North Branch Clinic since this time. Ryan earned his Orthopedic Clinical specialist certification from the APTA in 2010. In 2012, he was accepted into the CCAP program for Fairview. Ryan has had extensive training in the International Academy of Orthopedic Medicine (IAOM-US) and Mulligan based treatments. His teaching philosophy focuses on helping people to make accurate interpretations of clinical signs and determining the proper treatments in which to perform.
Nick Marvin, PT, OCS
Nick is a 2001 graduate from the University of North Dakota School of Physical Therapy. He gained his orthopedic clinical specials certification from the APTA in 2007 and has worked at Fairview Lakes Medical Center since 2005. He currently supervises the North Branch and Rush City outpatient rehab clinics. Nick has taken numerous osteopathic continuing education classes and taught dozens of internal and external CEs over the past 8 years. His teaching philosophy is to provide diagnostic and manual treatment skills that are readily transferable to the clinic.
This course is focused on providing the participants a concise and effective evaluation of patients with headaches. Participants with learn/review the anatomy/biomechanics the cervical and thoracic spine regions. It will be a lab intensive course to demonstrate and review various mobilizations for the cervical and thoracic spine. The laboratory sessions will include demonstration followed by opportunity to practice these hands-on techniques under the supervision of your instructors. Following this course, you will have the knowledge and understanding to apply these skills to your clinical setting.
1. Review types of headaches: Therapist will be able to determine which are appropriate for treatment in physical therapy, which ones need to be referred.
2. Review blood supply for brain: Therapist will be able to recognize signs/symptoms of vetebrobasilar insufficiency and internal carotid occlusion.
3. Review anatomy/biomechanics of cervical spine: Therapist will be able to demonstrate understanding of coupling patterns for cervical spine.
4. Therapist will be able to perform a concise evaluation of cervical spine to determine pain generator of the headache.
5. Therapist will be able to effectively treat cervical spine dysfunctions with manual therapy techniques.
6. Therapist will be able to develop an effective home exercise program to optimize patient recovery
8:00-8:15 Classifications of Headaches/Red Flags
8:45-9:00 Upper cervical Screen
9:00-10:00 Neck/headache screen
10:15-11:45 Manual Therapy Treatments/Home Exercise Program