High tech imaging helps doctors deliver the best care
High quality diagnostic imaging services at Fairview Southdale Hospital help physicians see inside your body to provide the right diagnosis and best possible treatment.
To schedule an outpatient appointment in our imaging department, please call 952-924-5170. With the exception of screening mammography, a physician’s referral is required for all diagnostic services.
Our imaging services include:
- Cardiac imaging
- Computer tomography (CT)
- Dexascan (bone density screening)*
- Digital mammography
- General radiology
- Interventional radiology
- Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI)
- Nuclear medicine
- Positron emission tomography (PET) scan (also known as PET-CT**
- Vascular imaging
We offer two types:
- Screening mammograms – used if you have no lumps or other breast symptoms. They generally take 10-15 minutes.
- Diagnostic mammograms – for men and women who have breast lumps, pain or discharge. A doctor’s referral is required.
The Fairview Southdale Breast Center offers you same-day appointments for screening mammograms. Screening mammograms do not require a referral from your doctor; however, we will inform your primary care physician of your results. With a doctor’s order, we can also schedule diagnostic mammograms quickly. To schedule an appointment for a mammogram or a consultation, call us at 952-836-3600.
Most often used for people who have cancer, heart disease or brain disorders, positron emission tomography (PET) and computed tomography (CT) work together to produce 3-D images of the entire body. To help create those images, the PET-CT uses a small amount of radioactive material that enters your body by injection, inhaling or swallowing. Positron emission tomography (PET) then identifies cancerous cells, and computed tomography (CT) pinpoints tumor locations and sizes. Doctors use the information to develop a treatment plan for patients with cancer and to tell whether cancer treatment is working.
Mobile PET-CT makes service easy to use
Our mobile PET-CT unit now allows cancer patients to receive treatment closer to home. The mobile PET-CT stops at:
- Fairview Southdale Hospital
- Fairview Lakes Medical Center
- Fairview Northland Medical Center
- Fairview Maple Grove Medical Center
- University of Minnesota Medical Center – Mesabi
Cardiovascular imaging services