That’s why everyone at Fairview hospitals and clinics provides compassionate care to you and your baby.
Please call us at 855-FAIRVIEW (toll-free) to make an appointment with one of our OB/GYN specialists today.
In order to monitor your pregnancy over the months, visiting your doctor for regular check-ups makes good sense. That way you ensure your health and the health of your baby.
How often you’ll visit your provider
- Once a month during the first 28 weeks of pregnancy
- Twice a month during the 28th through 36th weeks of pregnancy
- Once a week after 36 weeks
- If you have a high-risk pregnancy, you’ll have these prenatal appointments more often.
What to expect at your appointment
- Get answers for all your questions
- Check your weight, blood pressure and temperature
- Listen to your baby’s heart beat
- Check the size and position of your baby
Prenatal tests available:
- Ultrasound – Checks for any physical problems and the presence of more than one baby. It’s done with a machine that uses sound waves to create an image of the baby that can be seen on the screen.
- Blood tests – Checks for any problems such as gestational diabetes (diabetes that develops in pregnant women) or genetic disorders.
- Fetal echocardiogram (in select locations) – Checks to see if the baby has heart problems. It’s done with a machine creating an image of the baby's heart that can be seen on the screen.
What happens if you have a high-risk pregnancy?
Are you pregnant or planning to become pregnant and have a high risk of experiencing a medically complicated pregnancy? If so, the expert providers at University of Minnesota Medical Center’s three Maternal-Fetal Medicine Centers are available to provide you with our highly-specialized care.