We offer a variety of birth control alternatives and sterilization, including Essure and IMPLANON®, whether you’ve completed your family or choose to remain child-free.
Call us at 855-FAIRVIEW (toll-free) to make an appointment with an OB-GYN specialist today.
Are you ready for permanent birth control but would like to avoid surgery? Essure is a safe and highly effective method of permanent birth control. Essure does not require surgery and, in most cases, the procedure can be performed in the comfort and convenience of your doctor’s office. At Fairview, several obstetricians and gynecologists offer the Essure procedure. Visit the Essure website to learn more about the procedure.
How does Essure work?
Essure works by blocking the fallopian tubes to prevent pregnancy. During the procedure, tiny, flexible coils called “micro-inserts” are passed through the vagina, cervix and uterus and are placed in each fallopian tube. Over the next few weeks, your body and the micro-inserts work together to form a tissue barrier so that sperm cannot reach the egg. This prevents you from getting pregnant. Studies have shown this procedure to be 99.8-percent effective in preventing pregnancy.
What are the benefits?
- Highly effective
- Minimally invasive
- Fast recovery: no general anesthesia required
- Can be performed in a clinic setting in about 35 minutes
Things to think about
- Essure is not reversible. You should only consider this option if you are certain you do not want to become pregnant in the future.
- It takes about three months before Essure is fully effective. Another form of birth control should be used for three months following the procedure.
- Like other methods of sterilization, Essure does not provide protection against sexually transmitted infections.
Health plans and insurance
The procedure is covered by most insurance plans. Please check with your insurance to determine coverage.