Frequently Asked Questions

1) I am starting to notice some changes in my mother’s ability to manage on her own.  When should I intervene? 
Confusion or rapid weight change should be addressed right away by a health care professional. Loss of vision or hearing may happen more slowly. It is important to decide which changes are occurring due to physical limitations and which are from judgment declines. Often, changes in physical capabilities can be overcome by altering home surroundings. Declines in judgment may require more supervision.
2) How do I talk with my parents about their future plans? 
Begin talking with your parents about the future as you share your own needs for legal planning. Having a will, power of attorney and a health care directive protects everyone. Another way to begin a difficult discussion is to make it less personal by talking about something that may have happened to a friend.
3) How can I make my parent's home safer and keep them as independent as possible? 
Make sure their home is well lit. Motion detector lights and grab bars in the bathroom can help. You may wish to talk with a home care agency to complete a home evaluation.
4) My dad has dementia. What information should I share with him? 
Plan talks around his schedule. If morning is his best time of day, make sure this is when you talk. If your dad has no sense of time, then it will be frustrating if you discuss things involving time. Never give false information. This could lead to distrust and may cause problems in the future.
5) When do I need to think about moving my parents into an assisted living site? 
Some people move into assisted living sites for social opportunities or access to services. Others want to make sure someone is always there to provide or coordinate care. A care manager can help your family decide what type of care facility is the best fit for your family now and in the future.
6) How are senior services paid for?
Most home care services are paid for by the individual or family. Medicare covers in-home care when someone needs the help of a skilled provider. Help with daily needs may be paid under a long-term care insurance policy.
7) How can I help my parents if I live far away?
Know about local resources in case they have an emergency. Also, make sure that you have copies of their legal papers. Know the make, model and license plate of their cars in case you can’t find them and need to report this to authorities. You may want to use a local care manager who can check in and let out-of-town family know about concerns.
8) How do we decide what's best for our parents?
Let your parents' wishes and life choices guide you. Remember that this is about your parents. As long as they are making safe choices, you do not have a right to make other choices for them. 
9) What is a health care directive?
This is a document that allows people to state their wishes around health care. This document has been called a “living will.”
More questions?
Email or call Fairview Care Management and Coordination, 612-728-4338.
Discrimination is Against the Law. We comply with applicable Federal civil rights laws. We do not discriminate against, exclude or treat people differently because of race, color, national origin, age, disability or sex.
 Visit Other Fairview Sites 
(c) 2017 Fairview Health Services. All rights reserved.