Beyond Delivering Babies
Many people think of midwives only in connection with childbirth. They do much more. Midwives provide a wide range of services for all ages of women — from puberty through menopause.
Fairview's midwives deliver babies at University of Minnesota Medical Center, Fairview. Certified nurse-midwives believe that unless medically necessary; interventions should be kept to a minimum during the birth experience. If, however, there are any complications during your pregnancy or delivery, the midwife will work with a consulting obstetrician to direct your care.
Benefits of choosing a midwife
- Low rates of c-sections
- High rates of successful VBACs (Vaginal Birth After Cesarean)
- Expertise in labor support and drug-free comfort tools
- May offer pain medication in labor, including epidurals
- Holistic, family-centered care
- Personalized, patient-centered care
What is a certified nurse-midwife?
A certified nurse-midwife is a registered nurse who has a Master of Science degree in midwifery and holds a national certification from the American College of Nurse-Midwives. In the United States, the profession dates back to the 1920s, and today there are thousands of certified nurse-midwifes practicing in all 50 states.
A natural choice for many
Many women choose midwives because they enjoy building a strong relationship with their caregiver. Other women appreciate midwives' natural approach to prenatal care, labor and birth.
Midwives tailor their care to the individual needs of each patient. Preferring to minimize technological interventions, they stress education, counseling and continuous hands-on care during labor, birth and postpartum.
During pregnancy, midwives offer guidance on proper nutrition, exercise, sleep and travel. They encourage women to make birthing choices unique to their personal needs. They support a variety of labor options, including the freedom to move around, massage, a rocking chair, water births, a birthing ball, moist heat and pain medication.
Certified nurse-midwives also provide:
- Yearly gynecological exams
- Services for young women transitioning from pediatric care to adult medical care
- Birth Control, family planning, and pre-conception counseling
- Personalized attention to the needs of women during reproductive years
- Primary care services including treating infections and depression
- Peri-menopause counseling
Shared Wisdom Group Prenatal Care
Minnesota Affiliate of the American College of Nurse-Midwives
We believe every woman deserves to receive care that is safe, satisfying and fosters her ability to care for herself. We partner with each patient by actively listening, providing information and education and supporting her to make the decisions that are best for herself.