Benefits of Volunteering
Volunteering at Fairview Southdale Hospital in Edina, Minnesota offers rewards which may include:
- Meal vouchers
- Opportunities to attend workshops, health screenings and other events
- Fairview Pharmacy and gift shop discounts
- Free Parking
- Health Sciences Library access
- Discounted sports or entertainment tickets
Adult Volunteer Application Instructions
1. Submit an online application or request an application packet.
2. Provide two references: print reference sheets and e-mail or mail them (Note: References are different for adults and juniors). We require at least one reference before you will be interviewed.
3. Complete a screening interview.
4. Attend new volunteer orientation and get medical clearance by Employee Occupational Health Services (EOHS).
Adult Reference Form
Junior Volunteer Application Instructions
Junior volunteers are between the ages 14-18 and attend high school. The volunteer shifts are Monday-Friday 3:15-6:00 p.m. and Saturdays and Sundays 8-4 p.m. The Junior volunteer program is extremely competitive, thus not all students who apply and interview will be accepted.
Junior Reference Form
1. Applications and reference forms are available as paper copies above. You can also request an application and reference form by calling or stopping by the office.
2. Provide a reference form.
3. Attend a parent and student information session.
4. Complete a screening interview.
5. Attend new volunteer orientation and get medical clearance by Employee Occupational Health Services (EOHS).
1. How long does the volunteer application process typically take?
The application and screening process typically takes three to four weeks. The minimum age to volunteer is 14. We ask that the junior volunteer applications are submitted by December 31st and typically begin interviews in February for the upcoming spring/summer session.
2. What is volunteer training?
Volunteers complete three training shifts with an experienced volunteer. Additional training shifts may be scheduled as needed.
3. Are there costs involved?
Students under 18 must get immunization records and tuberculosis screening (Mantoux test) through their own health care provider or community clinic. Fees may apply. Contact Volunteer Services for more information on medical clearance requirements. Adults needing varicella (chicken pox) vaccine, as determined by EOHS, complete this requirement through their own health care provider or community clinic. Fees may apply. Volunteers may purchase a new uniform ($15) or a used uniform ($8).
4. Do I need medical experience or training?
No, all the training you will need is provided.
5. What volunteer positions are available?
We offer volunteer placement in up to 54 areas based on your interest, abilities and availability.
6. Do I have to volunteer a minimum of hours?
A typical volunteer works four hours weekly and 8-16 monthly. Every-other week options are available. Typical shifts are 8:00 a.m. – noon or 4:00-8:00 p.m. The minimum service requirement is six months.
7. Where can current volunteers access VICNet?
Log on to your VICNet account: Access Vicnet.
8. How do I contact volunteer services at Fairview Southdale Hospital?
For additional information call 952-924-5020.