Millions of women experience some form of urinary leakage, which can affect a person’s self-confidence and active social life.
Women of all ages—and about one-quarter of all women—have problems with urine leakage, overactive bladders, or a sagging/dropped bladder. But many don’t realize it’s a medical condition with medical solutions.
Urinary incontinence is the inability to control the release of your urine. Types of urinary incontinence include:
• Stress incontinence – minor leakage when you cough, laugh or sneeze
• Urge incontinence or overactive bladder – a sudden, intense urge followed by an involuntary loss of urine
• Mixed incontinence – a combination of stress and urge incontinence
• Overflow incontinence – inability to completely empty your bladder
Treatment for incontinence depends on the type and severity of the problem. Your doctor will recommend the approach best suited to your condition. It may include behavioral techniques, such as bladder training, physical therapy to strengthen pelvic floor muscles, medications, devices or surgery. The most common surgeries for incontinence are:
• Sling procedures to help keep the urethra closed, especially when you cough or sneeze
• Bladder necks suspension to support your urethra and bladder neck.
Don’t let bladder problems control your life! The sooner you seek help, the sooner you can get back to what’s important in your life.
Call 763-241-5800 or toll-free 1-855-FAIRVIEW (1-855-324-7843) to make an appointment.
Learn more about our specialists: Michael Tran, MD and Todd Fleming, MD
Locations Nearest You
Fairview Clinics – Elk River
290 Main St. NW
Elk River, MN 55330
Fairview Clinics – Princeton
919 Northland Drive
Princeton, MN 55371
Call 763-389-3344 for an appointment.