There's no reason to feel embarrassed or uncomfortable seeking care. More than 18 million women suffer with incontinence in the U.S. alone.
First - let's talk about what is incontinence? Simply put - Incontinence is when you leak urine. The two most common types are stress and urge and are highly treatable.
- Stress incontinence – leakage that occurs with cough, laugh or sneeze
- Urge incontinence – leakage preceded by a sudden urge to void - often referred to as overactive bladder
- Overflow incontinence – leakage stemming from an inability to empty the bladder
- Mixed incontinence – a combination of several types
Incontinence can be caused by a variety of factors including childbirth, decrease in estrogen, excessive coughing, obesity and genetic predisposition.
- Make frequent trips to the bathroom?
- Have sudden or strong urges to go?
- Leakage with little or no warning ?
- Feel like you can’t completely empty your bladder?
- Have bladder or pelvic pain ?
- Do you avoid outings out of fear you won't find a restroom in time?
If you have these symptoms – you don’t have to live with them. If incontinence is frequent or affects your quality of life, it's important to seek medical care because incontinence can sometimes indicate a more serious underlying condition.
Our services include specialized treatment to help with incontinence, overactive bladders, pelvic prolapse and a variety of other issues. Treatments range from lifestyle and behavior changes, to medications and in some cases, surgery. For people with overactive bladder, one innovative treatment that many of our patients are finding great success with is called InterStim® Therapy. Watch the video below for details.