Frequently Asked Questions
Summer Nursing Student Internship Programs
When is my application due?
The application must be submitted by Dec. 10, 2012.
Where is the internship located?
For 2013, internships will be offered at Fairview Ridges Hospital in Burnsville, Minn. and Fairview Southdale Hospital in Edina, Minn.
What is my role as a Fairview Health Services student nurse intern?
Student interns perform direct and indirect patient care under the supervision of a registered nurse. Minnesota State Nurse Practice Act regulations contain a list of tasks/procedures you will not be permitted to do during the student intern experience.
What will I be expected to wear for the program?
- Uniforms should be clean, neat, modest and well-fitting to create a professional impression of the employee and the hospital. Scrubs of any color or white shirt and slacks/skirt are acceptable.
- All-white shoes with closed toe and heel. Colored trim is not acceptable. Sandals are not permitted.
- White hose/nylons or socks are required.
- If you are assigned to a patient care unit in which there is an alternate dress code, you will receive information along with your placement information.
- A picture identification badge will be provided by the program.
Where and what shift will I be working?
If you are selected to participate in the program, you will be expected to work the same shift schedules and rotation as your mentors. This will include shift work and weekends. Day, evening and night shifts are all possibilities.
When will I be notified if I've been accepted into the program?
You will receive notification in mid February. Please call if you receive other offers prior to that time and would like to discuss your status with our program. Once you have accepted the internship, you are committed to Fairview Health Services.
Is your internship paid?
Each year, the internship site leadership determines whether the internship will be paid. For 2013, the internship will be a paid internship.
As a student in a BSN program outside of Minnesota, can I still be considered for your internship?
Yes, however if you are selected for an internship at Fairview, you must be enrolled in an internship course here in Minnesota. Please contact the school for more information.
From which schools have student interns come?
Students have attended from a variety of schools including:
- Allen College, Waterloo, Iowa
- Bethel College
- College of Saint Benedict/ St. John's University
- St. Catherine University
- College of St. Scholastica
- Concordia College
- Gustavus Adolphus College
- Minnesota State University, Mankato
- North Dakota State University
- Presentation College, S.D.
- St. Cloud State
- St. Olaf College
- University of Minnesota
- University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire
- University of Wisconsin-Madison
- Winona State University