Begin your nursing career with our summer nursing student internship program
Fairview's Summer Nursing Student Internship program provides an individualized educational experience at all five of our hospitals and medical centers in the Twin Cities. The program is tailored to your nursing career goals.
As a nurse intern, you will be mentored one-on-one with registered nurses to gain hands-on nursing experience. Our program provides opportunities to enhance your technical, critical thinking and interpersonal skills in an acute care environment.
There's so much to gain
- Real-world experience under the guidance of RN mentors
- Hands-on experience in a variety of areas, including patient assessment, intervention and care planning
- Opportunities to work with nurses and other health care professionals in a variety of roles and patient care settings
- Multiple “day of learning” opportunities in classroom environments
- Opportunities to increase self confidence in patient care
- Opportunities to explore nursing care in other departments
- Preferential status for employment upon graduation
Successful applicants to our internship programs:
- Have completed junior year in a baccalaureate (BSN/BAN) nursing program
- Have at least a 3.0 GPA
- Are able to work a minimum of 48 to 64 hours per pay period (every two weeks) in variable shifts (total of 240 to 320 hours)
- Are able to work for 10 weeks during the summer beginning early June to early August
- Provide two nursing-faculty references with at least one from a clinical instructor
Selected applicants must enroll in a Minnesota college or university internship course and have paid any associated tuition costs or fees before beginning the internship.
The Minnesota Nurse Practice Act requires nursing student interns be enrolled in a nursing program whenever performing nursing functions. Because the foundation of our internship program is RN-mentored clinical experience, we can only extend offers to candidates who are willing to enroll in a Minnesota school’s internship course and pay any associated tuition costs or fees. The nursing program must have an affiliation agreement with Fairview. Please discuss this with your school faculty and contact us if you have questions. Additional information will be provided to you if you are offered an internship.
The state Board of Nursing of Minnesota, through the Nurse Practice Act Regulations, has approved the skills list from which nursing students in internship programs can practice with direct supervision of RN mentors.
Learn more about our nursing internship program and the selection process in our frequently asked questions.
The 2016 selection process is completed. Check back in the fall for information about summer 2017.
Applicants must submit:
2. Essay, 300-500 words in length
3. Current resume - containing information about your education, employment, community service, awards and recognition and leadership experience from the past five years
4. Current transcript (may be unofficial)
5. Two references, using the generic recommendation form. Faculty may also provide letters of recommendation (not required).
All attachments should be in Microsoft Word or PDF format.
Workforce Development Consultant
Fairview Health Services
2344 Energy Park Drive
St. Paul, MN 55108