Effective Jan. 1, 2017, Fairview began taking part in an initiative with the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS). The initiative is called the Next Generation Accountable Care Organization (ACO) and is designed to improve clinical quality and patient experience while reducing the total cost of care for Medicare beneficiaries. In this model, Fairview is accountable for managing the health of more than 15,000 Medicare beneficiaries who come to us for care.
For general questions or additional information about Accountable Care Organizations, please visit the official Medicare website or call 1-800-MEDICARE (1-800-633-4227). TTY users should call 1-877-486-2048.
ACO Name and Location:
Fairview Health Services
2450 Riverside Ave.
Minneapolis, MN 55454
ACO Primary Contact:
Next Generation ACO Participating Providers:
We have about 330 providers from 46 Fairview Health Network clinics—both Fairview owned and independent—who participate in the Next Generation ACO. These internal medicine, family medicine and geriatrics providers work together to implement new models of care delivery, including care coordination, and to deliver greater value to patients.
As of March 15, 2017, the following are Participants and Preferred Provider in our ACO.
There are no joint ventures between or among the Next Generation ACO and any of its Participants and Preferred Providers.
ACO Governing Body:
Fairview Health Services’ Board of Directors serves as the governing body of our ACO, with the Finance and Patient Care and Experience committees playing key roles.
In addition, Fairview Physician Associates’ Board of Directors has been delegated responsibility to oversee the performance of the Fairview Health Network’s participation in the Next Generation ACO.
- Population Health Operations Committee: Patrick Herson, MD, Chair
- Fairview Physician Associates Network Product Development and Contracting Committee
- Fairview Physician Associates Network Quality Committee
- Fairview Health Network Practice Council
ACO Key Clinical and Administrative Leaders:
- ACO Executive: Kevin Nelson, MD, Interim President, Fairview Physician Associates
- Compliance Lead: Lorrie Ghose, Fairview Interim Chief Audit Executive and Chief Compliance Officer
- ACO Medical Director: William Nersesian, MD, MHA, Chief Medical Officer, Fairview Physician Associates