Each year, Fairview sends a team to Bukoba, a city in the rural northwest area of Tanzania, along the shores of Lake Victoria. We partner with the ELCT (Evangelical Lutheran Church of Tanzania), as well as with the two local hospitals and two dispensaries (rural clinics) to provide preventive and curative health care to hundreds of women and children living in the area. Major health issues in the area include HIV/AIDS, malaria and TB.
Mission participants spend two weeks working alongside Tanzanian staff to provide assessments and assist with interventions.
- Total cost for the trip is approximately $3,600 to $4,000 (including airfare, food and lodging and transportation), with grant funding up to $1,500 available.
- Each trip is limited to 6-8 people. Team members are chosen by the Fairview Medical Mission review committee.
- Trips are two weeks long and participants may choose to go on a three day safari at their own expense following the mission trip (safaris cost approximately $1,700 per person).
How to apply for trips to Tanzania
- Fill out the online Medical Mission trip application and the online grant application.
- Apply at least two months in advance of trip date. Team members are chosen by a review committee.
- Trip dates are subject to change until confirmed.
- Fairview may be able to provide a grant to help cover your expenses (up to $1,500), depending upon available funding.
- To be eligible for funding, applicants must be a current Fairview employee with two years of employment and at least 20 hours per week, a Fairview volunteer with a minimum of 50 hours per year, a Fairview retiree or a Fairview Physician Associates (FPA) member.
- By filling out the Tanzania medical missions trip and grant application, you'll be applying for a grant to help out with expenses.
- One grant per applicant per calendar year. All grantees must complete a trip evaluation within 30 days of return.
- Make checks out to: Fairview Medical Missions. Write your name and trip date on the memo line.
- First payment of $1,000 is due three months before the trip. Second payment of $1,000 is due two months before the trip. Any balance is due a month before the trip.
- All contributions are tax-deductible.
- No refunds are allowed to employees. Contributions may be allocated to future trips.
If you have questions or would like more information, contact Fairview Medical Missions using this online form.