Deciding your own health care treatment and naming a health care agent—someone who will speak for you if you’re not able to—is important.
We encourage you to have discussions with your loved ones and health care providers about your goals, values and choices.
Fairview Health Services is a partner with Honoring Choices Minnesota, which brings health care systems together to promote the benefits of advance care planning.
As part of Honoring Choices Minnesota, we aim to:
- Help patients make informed decisions about their health care choices
- Offer advance care planning discussions with trained staff
- Ensure our patients’ health care choices are clearly defined, documented and available to view in their health care record
- Translate choices into medical orders as needed
- Honor patients’ advance care planning choices
Why is advance care planning important?
- About 50 percent of people are incapable of participating in their own important end-of-life decisions.
- When your choices are unknown, the default is to provide all treatment, which may not be what you would want.
- When choices are left to others to decide, the responsibility can be difficult and stressful.
- By discussing and outlining your choices, your voice is heard in the care you want to receive.
You can download a free Health Care Directive that will allow you to share your treatment choices and name your health care agent so you can rest assured you will be cared for in the manner you choose. Fairview offers free classes on advance care planning and trained staff who can help you complete a Health Care Directive. You can register for Honoring Choices classes online or by calling Fairview Access Services at 612-672-7272 or 800-824-1953.
Health Care Directives also are available in Hmong, Russian, Somali and Spanish.
In Hmong: Daim Ntawv Qhia Seb Kuv Xav Tau Kev Kho Mob Li Cas
In Russian: Распоряжение о лечении и уходе
In Somali: Dardaaranka Daryeel Caafimaad
In Spanish: Directivas del Cuidado de la Salud
For frequently asked questions about Health Care Directives, view our Patient Education handouts:
Honoring Choices – Your Rights
Advance Care Planning Guide
Advance Care Planning Glossary of Terms
Role of a Health Care Agent
To learn more about the Honoring Choices Minnesota initiative across the state and for additional resources visit the Honoring Choices website. You also can find information at Fairview Physician Associates.