Fairview Auxiliary seeks to enhance the lives of patients, their families and the staff of Fairview in the communities in which we live. Fairview Auxiliary commits its skills and resources to benefit the whole person by providing exceptional health care while addressing the physical, emotional and spiritual needs of patients and their families.
We fulfill our mission by supporting Fairview programs and services and by providing education grants to youth volunteers and Fairview staff with funds raised from:
- special events
- vendor product sales
- our three gift shops at Fairview Ridges Hospital, Fairview Southdale Hospital and University of Minnesota Medical Center, Fairview–West Bank campus
Fairview Auxiliary receives a portion of all Fairview Auxiliary-sponsored vendor product sales. Money raised helps support Fairview programs and scholarships at Fairview Ridges Hospital, Fairview Southdale Hospital and University of Minnesota Medical Center, Fairview–West Bank campus.
Fairview Auxiliary accepts grant requests each fall. We review requests in January and announce recipients in March.
As a member of the Fairview Auxiliary, you join a network of mentors, community leaders and peers dedicated to patients' needs. Our membership represents a cross-section of people who live and working in the communities we serve. We welcome you to join and help us continue our 100-year tradition of service and leadership.
Fairview Auxiliary history
In 1906, a group of Norwegian pastors and laymen formed the United Church Hospital Association who wanted better health care for immigrants sold $1 memberships to buy wooded land along the Mississippi River near Fairview Park and build a hospital. Forty-six women raised $2,850 through a concert and donations from Ladies' Aid Societies. The women volunteered at the hospital, bringing flowers, fresh fruit and comforting words to patients.
In the 1930s, Fairview Auxiliary maintained a Free Bed Fund. A relief committee tended to patient family needs. The 1950s brought significant remodeling and expansion at Fairview; the first "Pink Ladies" (auxiliary volunteers) appeared in hospital corridors. The first gift shop opened in 1954. Fairview Auxiliary continued raising money in the 1960s by hosting style shows—the first was "Flowers and Fruits.” In the 1970s, the auxiliary began working directly with communities, supporting health education and CPR courses.
Today, Fairview Auxiliary funds student scholarships and various projects throughout Fairview Ridges Hospital, Fairview Southdale Hospital and University of Minnesota Medical Center, Fairview–West Bank campus.